Blue Screen starting to piss me off

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by robalm, Oct 21, 2010.

1. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #3 robalm, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    (OP)
  4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Oct 22, 2010
    Select that W76A_INF folder.

Once the drivers installed you may also want to run sfc.exe /scannow from command prompt as an administrator. I know you've said that you have formated a few times but looking at that desktop theres some software there that could possibly have an effect on things. Personally I would just make sure I'm running the latest version of absolutely everything, including all driver types.

It might be worth you running your motherboard through google with "windows 7 bsod" added onto your search.

5. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #5 robalm, Oct 22, 2010
    (OP)
  6. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm not sure if thats worked as I don't understand the language :eek:. Hopefully everythings fine now though :)

7. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hehe, I forgot that it was in Swedish:)
    But it says: "corrupted files were found but some of them could not be repaired"

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Very odd. On a fresh install you shouldn't have any issues which could suggest your Windows 7 ISO might be to blame.

9. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #9 robalm, Oct 22, 2010
    (OP)
    Could it be because I have Tweak Windows 7 iso disc before I burned it out?
    (I removed the unnecessary things and fic down the size of 2.9gb to 2.13gb)

Edit: Will adds that the bluescreen problems were the same with a untouched windows 7 disk.

10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't think removing software from the ISO would cause any problems, I may be wrong though as I've never actually tested it.

11. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    #11 robalm, Oct 22, 2010
    (OP)
    I try with an untouched version next time:)

So far I have not had the BlueScreen, but as I said there is usually a once a week.
    If I could still get blue screen now, is there much chance that any of the graphics card is broken then, do you think?
    Or is there a way to test the cards, and note that they are working?

12. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
  13. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #13 WeAreNotAlone, Nov 2, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
    I'm with Daz... You might have installed some stuff which is creating a conflict (Or you have picked up some bugs somewhere) I think you should do a minimum install. If you have to have everything installed, setup a dual boot....

RE: Bought video card USED....
    Bought Used?

Fan on card?, Maybe if it throttles down, it's not turning on when needed. It screwing up under light load rather than heavy load points towards a problem with the driver, more than hardware but weird things do happen...

What is history of card- EG: Why did someone sell it???- Maybe they were having problems also.

Can Video cards fail= YES

So far as testing, about the only thing you can do is run stress testing apps, monitor the temps and enable logging if program has such.

I'd try another card. It may be the motherboard and the vid card just don't like each other.

Various ideas: (Some may not apply to your situation.)

Q: When did the problem first appear?????
    Q: How old is motherboard? (Very new=Board could be defective, and or has a unstable (EG: Bios rev v1.00 type problem, EG: some kind of incompatibility with vid card) Very old- system going out of spec. Additionally, just because a board is "new' doesn't mean it's defect free. (Until a component has been run for at least 30++ days it's not a proven component.)
    Q: Has this motherboard been stable with other vid cards?
    Q: System overclocked?
    Q: CPU / Video /system bus (or whatever) running at stock speed?
    Q: Pull (1) ram stick, run with that- and or use different memory sticks, move memory chips to different slots. Reseat cards, cables, chips, etc. Remove cables from all but primary hd.
    Q: Did problem start with this card?
    Q: Do you have another ATI card to test?
    Q: Do you have unit plugged into a UPS? - So it is not affected by variations in incoming AC power?
    Q: Have you had lighting storms recently?
    Q: Are you having this problem with a BASE install?
    Q: Are you having this problem after a base install with nothing else installed besides drivers for card?
    Q: Disabled /enabled options within the bios for vid card?
    Q: Vid card shows installed correctly in device manager? Checked for IRQ conflicts?
    Q: Have you tried installing in SAFE MODE?
    Q: When you do a install- Do you CRT, ALT, DELETE and shut down ALL programs running in the background/run msconfig so programs that run in the background aren't running during installs?
    Q: Do you have alot of apps running in the background? (Disable all apps, then re-enable one by one)
    Q: Disconnect from net, turn off virus during installs? (Before of course scanning downloaded packages-extract files then run a scan again?)
    Q: Run Aniti-Virus? Firewall turned on?
    Q: Running Firefox with Noscript, scripting turned off?
    Q: AntiVirus... I read a few years ago on brand-new PC's that the average computer is infected within a very short amount of time.... Download AntiVirus, drivers, patches BEFORE formatting- disconnect from net, install A/V drivers , patches BEFORE connecting back up.
    Q; Do you have the hardware firewall enabled in your router.
    Q: Have you blocked unused ports within the router?
    Q: Are you the type that INSTALLS and UNINSTALLS software allot?
    Q: Are you the type that installs software -without doing virus scans, before, and after?
    Q: Do you "click" on pop-ups that say "Your computer may be infected, Click here"? (Just asking- I have a family member who clicks on everything, plus is obsessed with keeping their system so "up to date" that they install , are tricked into installing all kinds of crap.
    Q: Do you run torrent software, stay connected to net for long period of time?
    Q: Do you visit "shady" sites, run Warez?
    Q: Have you tried running software that monitors /logs temp of card?
    Q: Have you PULLED ALL cards out of machine, except for vid card?
    Q: Tried card in another machine?
    Q: PC positioned awy from heat vents? I would assume you're running the heat this time of year?
    Q: PC is clean inside? no Dust bunnies?
    Q: Pulled the card, inspected for signs of damage, reseated card?
    Q: Sure the card did not get "zapped" during handling /install? (ESD Discharge=ZAP!) Did previous owner use proper ESD handling procedures?
    Q: Do you have carpet in computer room? Did use a ESD strap during install, use proper ESD handling procedures?
    Q: Power supply- unlikely but maybe it's dying? Again very new or very old hardware can be problematic...

Q: Have you tried previous driver releases? - The "newest' release might not be compatible with your system. "Newer is not always "better".

Q: Contacted ATI.... ASUS tech support yet?

PS: (This is not against your personally)
    1: When creating a thread.... Please take a few seconds to do a copy and paste of your system specs/hardware/software info into the BODY of text of your opening post.

Doing so PERMANENTLY TIES the "problem" to the hardware /software being talked about.

If you are relying on your "signature" (sig) to convey such info:

Some search engines do not see signatures (your sig), and or boards may strip out your sig when info is archived.
    On some boards a "signature" (sig) change is a GLOBAL change- If you rely upon the sig to convey system specs and sig changes...(Which happens allot with those changing systems all the time) ALL the info in the thread, time others spent to help you is greatly devalued....Becomes nearly worthless-
    (People these days talk about "respect", if the thread is devalued it's a slap in the face to all that posted in the thread trying to help...)

While some do not care (once they get their fix) what happens to a thread, taking a few extra moments really helps those doing a search later on.
    (Keep in mind that "someone" searching later on will be YOU on another problem.)

Objections:
    Hey, I'm not taking a few extra moments to copy and paste my sig into the text of my opening post...

Response: Right now I bet there is someone who has had the same problem as you that found the fix to the problem but because they didn't post their specs / detailed info :

A: It is highly unlikely you'll ever find it. (If data is not there search engines won't find it)
    B: It will take hours or days to find, weed thru hundreds or thousands of posts to find the info. (If info is not there to cull the results (EG sort by mfg, model number), top results displayed will not pertain to your problem. - You may have to wade thru several hundred threads / thousands of posts to find the info you need.)

Pics.... when posting "pics" (pictures).... If the post relies on the pics, the thread becomes worthless when the pics disappear.
    Title /name / give a descriptive name to the pics embedded within the post /hosted on a 3rd party site with the mindset that the info won't be "lost" 6 months down the road when the pictures are "gone". (Most pics in threads go stale after 6 months or so... Or the OP deletes the pics.)

14. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #14 WeAreNotAlone, Nov 2, 2010
    Does the CBS.log give any clues?

Used Card(s)?... (Could have been "Zapped"=ESD Discharge)
    Q: More than one card in system? Pull /disable all but one...

In the back of my mind I remember some problems with ssd drives...and/or incompatibles with certain motherboards /controllers...

15. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
  16. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks for all the tips, now I have a bit of advice :)

17. WeAreNotAlone

WeAreNotAlone MDL Member

Aug 31, 2007
    #17 WeAreNotAlone, Nov 2, 2010
    Edit your opening post, so your system's specs are listed in the body of text of the post.

It will help others help you better/faster, and ties the "fix', the tips to the hardware /problem.

PS: When you do "fix" the problem... post back the fix with the mindset that YOU are having that problem and you've run across the thread.
    (Translation: Post back in detail how you fixed the problem.)

18. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello again!
    I replace my two 4890 against a 4870X2, but I get the exact same blue screen. The times it happens is when I use "vlc"
    I may well not have the misfortune of this 4870X2 is also broken?

Tnx for all help guys, i really appreciate it.