boot edit expert needed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jabberwocky, Feb 13, 2011.

1. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
  2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Is there not a boot.ini file on cdrive

I assume win7 is like other os, and there should be a hidden file on c drive with boot.ini, try and change it in there.

Not sure if that will work for you, but maybe someone will give you a better answer, just an idea.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    no such boot ini file exist with Vista/Win7 , and I had a look at (tried) easybcd 2 ,it does not have option to just do this simple edit without altering other components.
    there must be some way to do it I have never used BCDEdit , windows 7 s own tool . but I am hoping someone here is familiar with this kind of edit .
    I want to keep everything else as is .
    my hyperOS does a great job of managing all the OSs , where booting is concerned but ,I created this problem by cloning a OS from drive K to drive G , now it shows up as G cos its referenced to that drive letter I just want it referenced back to G .

5. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Couldn't you just boot into one of the other OSes if they are still bootable and then change the drive letter of the drive you have highlighted via Disk Management?

6. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I tried that first ,in all the other drives it shows up as correct drive (G)
    It only shows as (K) when the drive is active ,and then disk management cannot change the drive letter on an active drive .
    catch 22

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Also check out advanced section in easybcd.

8. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #8 jabberwocky, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    (OP)
    yes urie I did .it had a lot of info but I could not find the line I wanted to edit anywhere ,I will have a look around for a manual for it .
    thanks

update ,no bcdedit 2 cannot do it .

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    when booting with partition 5 use easybcd to change boot order so partition 1 is first. then you can boot from that partition and change setting for partition 5.

10. teknomedic

teknomedic MDL Member

May 5, 2007
    One more odd-ball thought... agian, haven't tested so I'm not sure if it's possible...

Boot into the partition in question. Normally you can't adjust the drive letter on an active partition, but perhaps you can trick Windows just long enough to correct the drive letter.

Load a command prompt as an admin... now type DISKPART and wait for it to load. Now keep in mind that the goal is to select the partition you're currently running and want to change
    Type LIST DISK
    Type SELECT DISK n (where n is the number of the HDD)
    Type LIST PARTITION
    Type SELECT PARTITION n (where n is the number of the active partition you wish to make inactive)
    Type INACTIVE
    ...you should now get a message saying the partition has been made inactive... now try heading to "manage" and see if you can load and edit the drive letter using Disk Management. IF this works and you're able to correct the letter... now go back into the command prompt window and repeat the steps... only this time typing "active" at the end... that should re-activate your partition.
    Type EXIT to exit DISKPART
    Type EXIT again to exit the command prompt
    Restart

11. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #12 NoJuan999, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    Have you tried Using a Bootable Partition manager like Paragon to change it from Active to Primary and then Assign a new Drive Letter ?

12. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I have found a workaround .the problem was that if I booted into any of the other OSs ,the drive in question appeared correctly "as G" ,however when i was in that drive ,it showed up as drive K , both in windows explorer and in hyperOS interface. the workaround was to make a backup of it ,(HyperOS allways creates a small ini file with some details including what drive the backup was referenced to) . So I created a backup file . (hcb) ,renamed the file extention to .rar and opened it changed the K to a G on the ini file and closed and renamed the file extention to hcb . now the backup has been restored to drive G and shows up as G.
    that will teach me not to create a system using a backup from another drive number.

13. empeka

empeka MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2010
    run
    bcdedit /enum

this will list all boot entries. find one you want to change and note it's ID. (something like {ca38b4f9-e69e-11df-9a54-d5e0982edb3b})
    then run
    bcdedit /set ID_YOU_RETRIEVED device partition=G:
    bcdedit /set ID_YOU_RETRIEVED osdevice partition=G: