Boot halts after ghosting to new HD - error 0xc000000e

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Gearlos, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    Hi all

After creating a Win7 Pro install, I GHOST'ed (2003) the Win7 partition and restored this onto another HD.

Guess what: The Win7 boot gives an error message..

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Of course I could have guessed it - MS prevent copying installations - neither with key installed or not.

This is Lame.
    You should be able to replace the HD after some time when fab. warranty says its end-of-time. MS apparantly uses a stupid HD serial as marking, despite the NET card MAC is a much better unique serial.

Sooo - any excellent advice of how-to make this work.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #2 Carlos Detweiller, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Did you try booting with Safe Mode first? Windows will use generic drivers and might have a chance to install the correct HDD controller driver for the system.

3. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    #3 Gearlos, Mar 24, 2021
    (OP)
    Tx for answer...

Nope: You unfortunately are missing, that the GHOST'ed installation are for the same mobo, thus the drivers are perfect suited. My post is about some MS copy protection... that prevent ppl using / replacing another HD (otherwise You could run around copy installed Win7 partitions everywhere, with only restriction that it must be on the same brand/model of motherboard - right !).

In this case its lame, that the protection goes on the HD, which have much shorter lifetime than the mobo, which should be the protection source instead.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #4 Enthousiast, Mar 24, 2021
    MSFT doesn't prevent Win 7 backup and restore to another hdd installed in the same system (on 8+ it can even be done to other systems).

Try to fix boot and or check the bios settings for the new hdd to be set as boot drive.

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Can you take a picture of this problem? It can be caused by bad bootmgr configuration.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Are you cloning the whole disk or just a single partition? If the latter, the boot records are probably not being saved.

7. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    If it's GPT, that Norton Ghost (2003) could simply not support it, unless you ghost as Raw (all sectors, unaltered). Plus, it might have issues with disks >2TB.

8. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    If You google boot error 0xc000000e You get tons of images and good advice. But most are about corrupt boot data, which should not be the case here.

Nevertheless, I can perfectly restore the C: drive (boot) partition on the disk with the installed Win7 - but not on the other - even its partitioned similar.

Note: The other disk is ofc. formatted as NTFS and set up as the boot partition (using gparted).

Some made a homepage about transferring an OEM installation - so the problem is not new.

Its titled

Transferring Windows 7 OEM license to a new hard drive
    Hacker's ramblings

blog.hqcodeshop.fi/archives/207-Transferring-Windows-7-OEM-license-to-a-new-hard-drive.html

((hot dammed, the site want me to make 5 posts before i can post links. But i removed the h.t.t.p.s././))

9. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    Naa Carlos. I can perfectly restore the GHOST image to the original disk of installation. But not to the other (besides its < 2 TB).

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not one line in there is about boot faillure after recovering a hdd backup to a ssd:thinking:

Even the transferring of the OEM activation stuff is a bit overcomplicated, they just had to run daz loader and it would have inserted the OEM:SLP key and certificate for the existing slic.

11. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    I am unfortunately not using the Windows Backup. But as You may read in the other posts, I can perfectly retore the GHOST image, but not to another disk, allthough all the trivals like bios boot etc, are in place.

But consider.. why sholdnt MS prevent backing up and restore to many computers as piracy. There should be some serial number involved.

Anyway - If You have experience from doing so... I cannot get the same result.... And why should it not boot other than the boot checks something (well the errror message dont explicitly say illegal copy).

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Actually this is not even pirating related, if a valid slic is present, you can simply and 100% genuinely reactivate by running DAZ loader (or manually insert oem:slp key and certificate).
    If the slic is valid, the loader won't install the bootloader but simply apply the oem:slp key and cert and all is back to business.

Migrating the entire systemdisk from hdd to ssd should simply work.

13. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    I merely cited that homepage to illustrate that there could be complications with tranferring an installation.

But Youre right, notin bout boot errors. But I have done lots of HD setups, partitioning and GHOSTING etc etc. so I shouldnt have missed sumthing.

Well - The only special case is, that Im installing onto an Asus Prime B365M-K 1151 (v2 for 8/9 gen CPU) which shine with a CD containing drivers for Win7 - despite the specs only say Win10.

What really puzzles is that i can restore onto org. but not the other - sepits is similar in setup..

14. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    It is not very mysterious. If all you did was clone a single partition, you could restore to original since original already has all of the required boot records. Your clone does not have the needed boot records. You need an entire disk clone, probably best done as a raw image of the original disk as suggested by Carlos.

15. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    @Gearlos
    Restore image, then boot into Windows 6.x or newer setup. Press Shift + F10 to enter command prompt and execute these commands.
    Code:
    BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
    BOOTREC /scanos
    BOOTREC /rebuildbcd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    SPOILER

Did I forget to say, that this Win7 install are updated with the ESR extended service releases up to incl. march 2021.

It would not surprice that such load of security updates rollup's have a role in preventing copying,

Remember the error message

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

a required device where the device is the original HD.

If i find a solution, I will post it later .. maybe i can edit the HD serial number

17. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Some machines like to shuffle drive letters. Maybe the device is there but not where it is expected?

18. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    SPOILER II

(wonder how many spoilers that guy gonna write - anonymous)

Thanks to the advices from others, I suddenly realized some new fact!

Stubborn, I hold to that a GHOST image is a precise image of the partition (sectors) - including everything.

RTFM (Read The Fkn Manual) I learned that a (standard) GHOST does not include the extended boot information aka the stuff beyond the god-like boot sector.

This is kinda chocking for me: I have allways thought - and experienced - than I could restore my GHOST'ed WIn installation.

But no - Apparantly this was only successfull due to the boot structure was intact.

The task is now, to make GHOST do this. This gives other problems, as to its only possible with entire disks - bah !

So now im investigating how-to GHOST properly

some notes: I allways partition my HD, like this...

C: NTFS :: 60-100GB - for Windows alone - obvious for a restore of the partition.
    D: FAT32 :: 40-60GB - for stuff /utils and things that like FAT32 (esp. restore programs)
    E: NTFS - :: The remainder of disk aka > 1TG for all my pron, mags, movies and other junk i download.

19. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    GHOST IN THE MACHINE

hot..d.. there is no option for only copying a partition with all the boot structure - but only the entire disk..

The manual says about operation switches
    -ib
    The image boot switch copies the entire boot track, including the boot sector, when
    creating a disk image file or copying disk-to-disk. Use this switch when installed
    applications, such as boot-time utilities, use the boot track to store information. By
    default, Norton Ghost copies only the boot sector, and does not copy the remainder of the
    boot track. You cannot perform partition-to -partition or partition-to-image functions

with the -ib switch.

Why the h... only an entire disk. I then have to copy all my pron temporarly somewhere (and thats alot).

Was it TRUMP that said: be carefull about what You wish

20. Gearlos

Gearlos MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2021
    Yo, I managed to create a bootable USB and enter the "repair" option in the Win7 install.

There are several options, but unfortunately the BOOTREC commands did not help - I guess its only for originally broken boot system, and not a bad GHOST copy.

But tx for Your suggestion