Boot issue installing Win7 x64

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Puffingmad, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    #1 Puffingmad, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Hi

I have just upgrades from windows7 pro x86 to win7 ultimate X64 using one of the digital river ISO downloads X17-24395

When i originally installed the win7 pro 32 bit, I deleted my C partition using the win7 CD set-up when I created the new partition windows created a system reserved partition of 100 MB as well.

So the other night after downloading the Ultimate x64 ISO set about installing it as before I deleted the C partition and the system reserved partition

When I created the new C partition it did not created the system reserved partition I thought nothing of this and started to install the new OS all went well until the first reboot then at start-up it said no operating system found
    I tried from scratch again and the same problem.

Next I tried to restore my previous OS win7 pro x86 using a Norton ghost disk and a backup I had made before and the same problem no OS found on start up unfortunately i hadn't backed up the system reserved partition as well

I was a bit stumped at first

Finally I used the win7 pro X86 DVD and deleted the C partition when I created the new C partition it also created the system reserved partition as well, I exited the set up and restored my original OS from my back up

Yes it worked :biggrin:

I installed win7 ultimate X64 without deleting the system reserved partition everything worked great

So I am a little confused as to why the x64 ISO didn't create the system reserved partition when it needed it
    I have checked the hash of the ISO I downloaded and it's fine.

Any thoughts as to why ?

Steve

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #2 PhaseDoubt, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    I've installed Windows 7 dozens of times, x64 and x86, and I have yet to have it create a 100MB partition. Since I preach regular data backup and the creation of system images on internal and external media, I don't feel the need for any type reserve partition. Its presence is just wasted space to me.

I have had installations fail and when that happens I just wipe the drive and reinstalled. I like clean installs; not upgrades and/or overwriting of any kind. Failures happen, but as long as you get a good installation, a initial installation failure is no big deal. In my experience, failed installations were caused by a flawed download. That fact is, to me, the main reason to verify the integrity of the download before burning the installation disk or creating the installation flash drive.

If I'd done your installation, I'd have backed up all your data, wiped your drive, repartitioned it as you wanted and completed a clean install. Always works much better for me that way.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Puffingmad, it is because you are deleting the 100mb partition (System partition)

1. Highlight the drive you want to install windows to

2. Click on "Advanced"

3. If it's a new drive, create a new partition. Windows will create the 100MB partition in addition to your new partition

4. Delete your newly created partition, leaving the 100MB partition.

5. Select 100MB partition, Extend. OK. Done.

You only ever have to do this once if you ever need to format the partition and install windows it will automatically not make the 100mb (System Partition) because your partition is already a system one i,e active.

4. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Its all good now I just kept the 100MB partition and reformatted the C partition so it is a clean install just left me a little confused as to why the 32 bit version created it and the 64 bit didn't.

Thanks urie if I need to reinstall I will try that

And like you say PhaseDoubt I checked the hash and it is a clean install I am not a fan of upgrades as well.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...