boot messup.

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by drgutman, Jan 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. drgutman

drgutman MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    Hello,

I made a mess from the boot and I clearly need some help.
    I installed server 2008 over a previous vista installation. When I got to <where to install> part I formatted c: to get rid of vista and installed over. I forgot that vista doesn't go away that easy, so after I finished the installation and restarted the comp I found that I have to choose between "Previous Windows Installation" and Windows Server 2008. After I searched the web to find a way to remove the "Previous Windows Installation" I found a program (can't remember right now the name but if need I can search for it again) that said that can configure the boot menu and stuff like that. Run, find "Previous Windows Installation" delete entry, restart.
    Disk boot failure.please insert system disk and press enter.
    My installation was clean, I didn't have anything to recuperate from c: so I thought that what created the problem can solve it. Reinstall WServer2008 and it will fix it. Well, not really. It works but only if I have the installation dvd in the drive. Otherwise I get Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

Please help.

Thank you.

2. colinr

colinr MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    #2 colinr, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Have you tried to delete the partition as opposed to just formatting it?

This should then show the partition as unallocated space, install directly to the unallocated space, windows will take care of the formatting.

3. drgutman

drgutman MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    Yes. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. When I tried to reinstall WServer2008 the second time instead just formatting the partition (the hdd has only one btw) I deleted the old partition and made a new one. I didn't try tho to install it without making a new partition on the unnalocated space and I don't quite want to reinstall it from scratch just to try it that way because right now I have finished installing all the programs that I usually need.

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Boot options

Are you still getting boot options message?
    What is the full text of boot.ini?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. drgutman

drgutman MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    and

There is no text in boot.ini because there is no boot.ini.
    WServer 2008 doesn't use boot.ini anymore.

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Oops

Guess it helps to read posts after the coffee has its chance to wake up the little gray cells.

Monk :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. colinr

colinr MDL Junior Member

Oct 10, 2008
    #7 colinr, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    I do not have a solution to this problem.

8. drgutman

drgutman MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    @Monk - np.I get that too; that's how i got in this mess in the first place.
    Actually it's not the first time when something like that happens to me. I've should've known better and uninstall Vista first. :(

@Colinr - I think it's just missing. Thank you for imagex. I came today at work fixated on saving an image before tempering further with the mbr. I'm going to try it as soon as it downloads.

@ZaForD - EasyBCD might be the program that I used the first time to modify the mbr. :) I'll make a image first this time.

9. povinho

povinho MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2007
    Probably too late for a reply now. but have you tried booting with an xp disk and on the command prompt type: fdisk /mbr

this usually fixes the master boot record.

10. drgutman

drgutman MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2009
    turns out that it wasn't the mbr after all ... something messed up the boot sequence settings in the bios or something ... i re-set it too boot from the proper hdd and it was ok ... :confused: