Boot up screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Scann69, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Ok...so i downloaded the official iso from MS & installed it to 2 different notebooks. There are so far 2 things i notice that is different from both the installation.

The first is the boot up screen (as attached) & second, i cannot seems to move the user folder (ie: Downloads) from the default location to another partition without losing it from the default location. A little hard to explain but conclusion, on 1 notebook it works while on the other notebook it does not.

So which boot up screen do you guys get? 1 or 2?

I know it's no big deal but i just want to find out to see if some part of my installation went wrong.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      92.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
  2. bedrock

bedrock MDL Member

Nov 16, 2007
    1.jpg is from build 7000 (the official beta) 2.jpg is from either Vista or earlier build of 7 (pre beta)

3. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    So what are the odds that during the installation, windows di not format drive C correctly & left some old files from build 6956? Does things like that happen?

4. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I made a lite copy of 7000 that actually went wrong, never worked i guess i removed too much.. but also that happened to me, i got that old boot screen, its hidden in there somewhere....

5. Jvelo7892

Jvelo7892 MDL Junior Member

Jan 2, 2009
    6956 has the same boot screen as 7000. it might have something to do with your setup, or its a freak error. you never know. its a beta. report it to M$

6. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    The old boot screem ius definatly hidden in 7000 somewhere, as i said above it appeared when i messed around with a 7000 build removing components.

I never had anything earlier than 6956 installed.

7. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Well...to add to this, i do have Vista installed on another partition. Again, it's on a whole different partition. It should not be taking any files from Vista right?

Also, i normally install "Uptime" gadget which shows how long i've been using the notebook since i log on but now it's showing the opposite. Picture attached.

I've also attached the gadget uptime for those of your who would like to try it out and see if you are getting the samething as i am. Again, it's suppose to show how long the system has been running and not how long more it would run :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. chianf092

chianf092 MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I saw both of those too, the 2nd one for just a second. Welcome to the world of BETA this isn't complete so don't panic when you see something like that

9. win7

win7 MDL Senior Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Would be interesting to know what causes it or how it can be switched manually though :)

10. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    #10 Scann69, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    (OP)
    Yup....i'm very aware that this is a beta and bugs are suppose to be there :p Nonetheless, i've actually booted in Vista, formated the Win7 partition in Vista, then clean install Win7 again and on 1st boot, i check and i'm still getting the 2.jpg :confused:

Now the only thing left that could be the problem is that i'm testing on my 10" netbook and my only conclusion is that that boot screen is meant for a bigger screen like a 14"

I'm not so much of complaining about the bug...i just want to try and figure out what triggers it :rolleyes:

Update: The "Uptime" works fine by showing me how long i've log on to windows (picture attached) before activation but once i put in the product key given by MS & activate windows, it shows how long more i have with Windows 7. (Picture in my earlier post)

Attached Files:

11. TechAde

TechAde MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I removed all my HDDs apart from one then installed Win7 to it. At that point I was getting the Win7 boot screen (1.jpg).

After re-connecting my other HDDs I booted into my old Vista install. I used VistaBootPro to add the Win7 HDD to the boot manager.

Since then booting into Win7 I get the old Vista style boot screen (2.jpg).

I'll try booting directly to the Win7 drive rather than via the old Vista boot loader, see if it makes any difference to the boot screen.

12. TechAde

TechAde MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
    I can confirm that booting directly to the Win7 drive I get the proper Win7 boot screen, I only get the Vista boot screen when I boot Win7 via the Vista boot loader.

13. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Well, that does not work for me. I did actually remove my 160GB HDD then install a new empty 250GB and installed Win7 but am still getting 2.jpg. Well....screw the boot screen. I guess it's my screen size that is causing this problem.

It is a beta afterall :cool:

14. unawave

unawave MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2009
    Could be.
    1. If the screen resolution is lower then 1024x768 (e.g. "Netbook" with screen resolution 1024x600) then always the old, green Vista bar is shown.
    2. Otherwise: Open command line with admin rights. Enter "bcdedit". Do you see a line like "locale ... en_US" ? If not add this line manually.
      Look for the "identifier" No. in brackets {......} of your Windows 7 menu part.
      Could also be {current}
      Enter:
      bcdedit /set {...Identifier No....} locale en-US
      or
      bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US

15. lowfi

lowfi MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2009
    The vista bar only shows up when you are booting windows 7 in safe mode, else its the first picture, somehow your booting process is switched even if you are booting normally, I think you just need to make some modifications with bcdedit

16. Scann69

Scann69 MDL Member

Jan 5, 2009
    I do recall seeing this fix on MyDigitalLife and i tried the fix but it did not work. It gave me the same Vista boot screen and not the expected Win7 screen :( I've installed Win7 on my 12" and i get the Win7 boot screen even with dual boot. Based on these, i am convinced that it's the screen resolution :(