Booting Slow

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by fred64, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I have a problem with XP Pro SP3 booting slowly, which has just started recently.
    It starts off fine and runs okay until it puts up the desktop then it just seems to stop for about a minute.
    The HDD LED goes green (which indicates no disk activity) then after about a minute (that seems like two years) it starts again and the taskbar etc is then displayed.
    I have been able call up and use Task Manager so I have looked for what Items are starting but there is nothing out of the ordinary, the system apps and my startup apps are all the same.
    I keep a tight control on what is allowed to start at boot up as a matter of course so I am puzzled a what can have gone wrong.
    Suggestions anyone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MyDigitalName

MyDigitalName MDL Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Might be:
    - a virus/troyan vs. antivirus fight every time you boot, or
    - there is something wrong with one of the disks (soon-to-die), or
    - some program is loading a huge file or database when it starts.
    Flush temp dirs, browser caches, logs that you don't need, run a full system scan with your antivirus, defrag, queue up a system file defrag using PageDefrag, and reboot.
    If it does not solve your problem, you need to disable startup programs systematically. Alternatively, you could try figuring out the right program by watching which processes have been loaded when the disk led goes on.