Booting XP from non-bootable SATA drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by rasputinuk, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi Guys,

I have 120Gig SATA drive connected to a VIA pci SATA controller/USB 2.0 hub. The BIOS does not see the controller so I can't boot from the SATA drive. Is there a way in which I can boot from a small IDE HDD so that it can load the SATA drivers and then boot from the SATA drive ? :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lonely

lonely MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    If the BIOS can't see your SATA drive then I think the drivers wont be of any use.

3. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Using the drivers I can install XP to the SATA drive, but because it can't be seen by the BIOS it won't boot. However I have seen seen somewhere that I can modify the BIOS by inserting the cards BOOT ROM into it, but it is a hit or miss affair...I was just wondering how does windows boot from a SATA drive ? i.e where are the SATA drivers stored as windows can't read or boot the drive until these are loaded...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    which brand/model motherboard are you using?

5. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    If the BIOS cannot see the SATA drive then you will never get it running no matter what drivers you use unless you have a bootable PCI or PCIe SATA expansion card.
    I had the same problem but a BIOS update solved the problem. Have you tried to get a BIOS update from the mobo manufacturer?
    You could also try a SATA to PATA adaptor!

If there is no BIOS update then your probably stuck with it