Bootmgr missing upon restart :( Can't fix it

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by timesurfer, Jul 19, 2011.

1. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    #21 starams5, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
    I fully understood your point, from what you're saying, the Op doesn't have a system partition. I was responding to his particular problem, not 100 other variables. As for the BCD not going missing from the system partition, if it does go missing because you have no system partition, again, as you say...... it can be copied from another computer as well with the same OS, even with duel boot if the MBR is intact. If it's not properly updated to reflect the duel boot, use BCDEdit to correct the problem. Copy the missing BCD to C:\Boot\BCD......... Better yet, backup your existing boot manager and BCD, then you won't have to worry about having another computer with the same OS if it goes missing. As for the missing Windows partition, it can be restored from your backup after another partition has been created. Even the novice could handle that, but you probably won't find the novice duel booting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    My last install had no bootmgr in C:\ just sitting there and I have just C:\

So never saw it before and this is strange all of a sudden it's there is all I'm saying

Thanks for the comments

3. Skylined

Skylined MDL Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I always see the bootmgr file in the C:\, make sure you are viewing hidden and protected os files in windows explorer

or type dir /a at the C:\> prompt

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Meh.. scenarios >

You install Windows 7 on a pre-formated Hard Drive > it will not remove/re-create anything, > no system reserved
    You install Windows 7 on a unformated Hard Drive > Windows Automaticly creates 2 partitions, one 100MB Hidden System Reserved and the other is Windows partition > System reserved you get

No System reserved > boot manager on C:\
    you have System Reserved > boot manger on it, not on C:\

If you have Bootmanager on C:\ but have System Reserved partition, then You screwed with your system to much :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Attributes not hidden

Like I said couple times I only have C:\

I killdisked few months ago

So i can't explain this

Someone tell me how to put 10gb second partition like I originally had when I first bought pc?

Or detailed how to do system copy or best free way to backup up system

I am not interested in backing up files for I only have 1.5gb in dropbox hence files are always backuped

I have TV set up if anyone can help from inside windows

Thanks

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
  7. Super001

Super001 MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    good luck man , hope you solve it soon