BootRom SLIC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by xinso, Aug 10, 2009.

1. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #1 xinso, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    People say that:

BootRom? A small chip embedded in Ethernet adapter.

In a network , it is used to remotely boot local client computer without OS through server which has got the client OS.

If your computer has an Ethernet adapter embedded with BootRom, but you boot it with the system installed, then the BootRom is an orphan.

Why not give it a chance of life, and allow yourself a free SLIC?

The BootRom is an independent module, it won't disable the Ethernet Card, nor ruin your computer, unlike BIOS modding, even if it fails to activate your system (mostly due to BIOS' SLIC functionality locked by system buildr, e.g. DELL).

What do you think?

2. tommy_vercetti

tommy_vercetti MDL Member

Apr 3, 2008

Nice talk, where's the stuff on how to do it and what to do it ?

Youi know walking on clouds is great, we should all try it some day, feels better, but if you can't walk then it could be bcos of restrictions by your creator, huh, sounds dud na, same with your post

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ecpeachy

ecpeachy MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I dont think the OS looks for the slic on any rom on the machine (bootrom in this case),
    the bootrom is only active when you boot from the network, or am I missing something plz clearify.

4. GurliGebis

GurliGebis MDL Member

Mar 3, 2008
    It won't work, since the only place it looks for it, is in the ACPI section of the BIOS, not in some bootrom on a ethernet card.

5. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Lol this is pretty pointless, maybe a few years down the line it might be more relevant, but at this time no.

M$ won't catch me cause i use a BootRom on my e net card :rolleyes:

6. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #6 Lenmaer, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2009
    Just wondering what would happen if it was really possible and you ****** up the bootrom flash? Will your ethernet card still work?
    I think the result will nearly be the same as bricking your motherboard, no?

7. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    That would be kinda funny, Oh Noes!!!! I bricked my e net card:(:D

8. peterpaulw

peterpaulw MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2007
    lol, the ethernet card will work without the boot-rom.

It looks like an interesting idea. I wonder, if that differs much from putting a loader like WOW on a USB stick, CD, or a Floppy Disk and booting from that.

Those boot roms are not very common. If the e-card supports it, they cost about $10. But they are very small. How do you fit a BIOS or even just the slic loader part on a ca. 128kB card?