Bought an SSD, should I install paid for home ed or Daz Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by regal, Dec 12, 2010.

1. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I've been using the Daz unlocked ultimate for a while. Basically the only feature I have used is the vitual windXP for one program, there is another program that I use even more frequently that won't work with the virtual XP so I have to boot my XP drive.

I guess what I am saying is it doesn't seem that the Ultimate version is worthwhile over Hom ed for me. Well the bitlocker is nice, but I am sure I could find a third party solution.

Does anyone know the disc space saving by going with home ed vs ultimate?

2. flare4000

flare4000 MDL Senior Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Last time I checked they use the same disk space. I will try to find the info.

3. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    edition.JPG

Hope it's help you

windsman.

4. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#4 JaguarXJ12, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
    From what I can read from it you own a Home Premium edition copy of 7 and want to run XP in virtual environment.

I would recommend using the paid version, Home Premium, why waste money and not use it, makes no sense, trust me you don't need all the features of Ultimate (It's way overrated)
    And for the Virtual XP part I would use "Virtual PC 2007 SP1" from Microsoft dot com and install XP on a virtual HDD on Home Premium based on that you also own an legit copy of XP.

You can always use DAZ loader with your Home Premium copy if you don't feel like wasting your activation slots for that license.

EDIT: You can of course also use VM Ware instead of Virtual PC 2007 SP1, it might just fix that issue of the non working program you had to boot into XP to run.

5. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Something wrong in the picture there. Numbers don't lie, but somehow those look more like statistics. Care to explain the results? :confused:

Sizewise from smalles to biggest, editions seems to be:
    1. Home Basic
    2. Professional
    3. Starter
    4. Home Premium x64
    5. Ultimate x64

Expected to see this order (if any):
    1. Starter
    2. Home Basic
    3. Home Premium x64
    4. Professional
    5. Ultimate x64

Only two of those are x64 versions? Rest are x86?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Can't find my old XP disc anywhere (paid $100 bucks for the damn thing.) Anyway this being a "upgrade" home premium disc that I bought am I going to be able to install it on the new SSD? Or will I have to find my XP disc and install XP on the SSD first ?

Thanks again for the help

7. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#7 JaguarXJ12, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  8. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Yea losing a disc like that well it just reinforces my hatred of all these copyright protections, its like you need to buy a safe to hold all your M$ discs.

Thanks for all the help. Do any of you know a forum with some experts on SSD? My MB is an old one with a P35 NB with a ACH9R SB, and its supports ACHI but the intel website doesn't list the P35 NB as being trim compatible. Hate to go thru all this and not get trim. Thinking about sending the SSD back and waiting till I upgrade to an i7 setup. But I guess I should try it first, seems even veifying that trim is working is a gray area. Having serious second thoughts about buying this SSD.