Brave, the ultra-fast browser that blocks all ads except those you want

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by WIKIMACK, Jan 21, 2016.

1. ukendt

ukendt MDL Junior Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Waterfox is somehow faster than FF. I'm using both.

2. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Sorry about the old thread post here, but...

I just installed the latest version of this browser, on a test rig... to test it on Win10 19H1 v1903 x64.
    It appears to be working good here on my 1st spin around the block.

Brave Browser_ 2Run_ 1bHome.jpg Brave Browser_ 2Run_ 2Blocked.jpg

3. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    I found some VPN add-ons for FireFox. There is choice of countries for your location and some block settings. I'm using the "Touch VPN" add-on. I tried the others (Stark VPN) just short runs so can't say how dependable they are. Or you can also just use Tor Browser portable.

4. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Have you tried Pale Moon? You can use the portable editions of those browsers rather than installs. I run browsers off my USB.

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Pale Moon is good but you can't add add-ons to block ads

6. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Pale Moon has its own add-on repository now. It doesn't depend on Firefox. The good folks of Pale Moon, made sure to fork the browser, way before Mozilla went to Quantum. Add-ons were forked as well. (albeit I'm curious about Quantum possibly improving over time)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. padz535

padz535 MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    this is my choice of browser to all of my devices/platforms atm. I liked how Brave speeds up my browsing experience :)

8. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    BRAVE was viral marketed all over the web for about a week, if you read their website you will find out it is essentially ADWARE. They replace ads with their own or you can pay website owners with bitcoin in some convoluted scam they are trying to pull. Really they just want to become an ad network.

9. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    there are ad blockers.
    1. AB Prime
    2. Ad Block Latitude
    3. Script Block

10. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Google Chrome
    Sends the name of the file you're downloading to Google for whitelist checking; stores your IP address associated with the file for a few weeks.
    Every URL you even begin to type in the address bar is sent to Google, in whole or in fragments, for auto-completion purposes.
    Connects to Google every 30 minutes to download a list of malicious URLs, so the fact that you even have Chrome open is transmitted to Google.
    Asks you to login to your Google account, so your browsing tabs, history, etc. is stored on Google servers.
    Connects to websites in the background before you are even finished typing them in, without your explicit instruction.
    Contains an RLZ identifier, an encoded string sent together with all queries to Google.

Summary: There is nothing, nothing, you can do in Chrome that isn't transmitted to Google through some channel.

11. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    GOOGLE

12. Jari

Jari MDL Senior Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Nice advice, but why it took 3,5 years to get your advice :)

13. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Well, you just ask what is wrong with it.

And I just see your post.

14. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    Brave browser results after 20 minutes @ FB & 4 days after install on main rig OS, amazing imo
    (tested 1st on a test rig)
    Brave Browser_ 2Run_ 4aShields_ 2Facebook.jpg Brave Browser_ 2Run_ 1dHome.jpg

15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't know right now whether to cry or laugh about this thing. Which one should I do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. kanisho

kanisho MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2019
    Better use Firefox, their ad acceptance is as sketchy as ABP.

17. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Tor Browser for me.

18. Murray654

Murray654 MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2015
    Firefox with Ublock Origin

If you love chrome: SRWare Iron -> built using the free open source chromium code, so you have a near identical browser to Chrome without google spyware built in. (I still prefer Firefox, but use iron as a second browser) Ublock Origin also runs in Iron.

And PFSense as a firewall to additionally block a lot of stuff.

19. wdc

wdc MDL Novice

Apr 25, 2014
    I use Pale Moon, just because Firefox didn't allow me to customize its user interface with classic compact plug in anymore, I hate tabs, I won't accept them ever. But Pale Moon has problems with some website, Youtube for example, the videos go wrong one in a while when in full screen, also Aliexpress, their search filters doesn't work many times in Pale Moon, in those moments I use Chrome, I won't ever use Firefox again because their developers are egocentric morons.

You can, I use U block origins and it's quite good.