Browser Support for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Chuterix, Jan 6, 2023.

1. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Can someone post links for latest offline installer (MSI) for Chrome and Edge for Windows 7?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ George - Take a look at page 1 of this thread. Scroll down and you'll find all the links already posted by wkeller.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #23 George King, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I don't know how to track down the URLs :oops:

But I downloaded both the Windows x86 and x64 MSI files last week from the MS Edge webpage using Firefox on a Debian PC.
    Both files were over 100mb and are standalone installers.
    I've only used the x64 so far, but it worked on an Offline VM. :cool:

If you don't have a Linux PC, you could try changing your browsers User Agent, or a Live Linux CD.

5. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
  6. Nykto

Nykto MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Browsers are a major vector of attack and running an EOL browser is probably way more dangerous, than running an EOL OS that will still get WannaCry type updates even w/o POSReady, and that with a decent firewall.

If you need to run a Chromium type browser, the safest course of action is to put it in a Virtual Machine. VirtualBox has "seamless mode" so the browser will be given a normal window with _OX buttons.

You can put the VM on a SSD and give the virtual machine a lightweight OS such as Debian Linux LXDE, that way it'll run about as fast as outside the VM.

7. #28 Deleted member 190847, Jan 27, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2023
    WannaCry is greatly overrated. People get psychotic at the word WannaCry without a rudimentary understanding of how it actually works.
    WannaCry (and other worms) use services like LanmanServer to spread. Those services could be disabled on vast majority of PCs with no consequences (how many people share printers connected to their PCs on LAN instead of using dedicated print servers?).
    And even if you don't disable vulnerable services, firewall still protects you when it is properly configured. And it is by default on "public network" profile.

For example, I have old Windows XP (just for sentiment) and when I run Command Prompt and type netstat -ano command, there are no TCP/UDP ports opened.
    In such configuration it is utterly invulnerable on Blaster, Sasser, WannCry and all similar worms, no matter if it is updated or not. In such configuration even firewall is redundant. It is inpenetrable by worms.

But the Web Browser is totally different story. Modern browser are almost as complicated as entire OS and modern web pages are applications rather than documents.
    Using unpached web browser on untrusted/unknown web pages is serious security risk. It can be mitigated (but only mitigated) via extensions like uBlock Origin with antimalware blocking lists that blocks known malicious web pages completely.
    Anyway I do not recommend using of such browser for general web browsing. So after Chromium EOL, Firefox should be used as the main browser and after EOL of the latter maybe Palemoon.

8. 19jmsr56

19jmsr56 MDL Novice

Jun 22, 2022
    Hello. I found Firefox's Nightly browser three days ago. It is in alpha version updated daily, a while ago it upgraded me to version 111.0a1 (2023-01-30) 64bit. It syncs with your regular Firefox account. Although Mozilla warns that the Nightly build/update feed is experimental and may be unstable, I haven't experienced any issues yet.
    I forgot to mention that I have OS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1/ESU server 2K8 R2 64bit, and I have also tested it on OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.

9. daniel_k

daniel_k MDL Member

Jan 21, 2019
  10. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    waterfox still supported on win7:

waterfox.net/support/Darwin/waterfox-version-100-on-windows-7/

tor doesn't show any unsupported messages. it's based on Firefox so supported for now.

users can sanbox browsers but it's a waste of time imho.

majors VPNs also support windows 7 for now.

my edge version is Version 109.0.1518.78

I`m more worried about nVidia ceasing support of performance drivers. past. 474.11 could not find any modded drivers. e.g. 52x. driver

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5201/~/support-plan-for-windows-7-and-windows-8%2F8.1

11. BernieBildman

BernieBildman MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2019
    So...I'm curious as to how you like waterfox, I am using Opera as my main browser and like Chrome/Edge it is ending support/updates this month. Especially your experience with importing passwords and bookmarks from Chrome or Edge. Thanks for any insights.

12. BernieBildman

BernieBildman MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Waterfox, I'm also curious as to what other browsers will continue to support Windows 7, thanks

13. mrnoody

mrnoody MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2019
    #36 mrnoody, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    installed time: 2-3 mins including checked with virustotal dot com. installed addons: darkreader (I`m half blind and don't tollerate light due keratoconus), ublock origins (don't like ads, don't buy unnecessary things), installed noscript and enabled permissions globally. imported passwords from chorme past install (saw after install your request): 10 seconds from options. login on forums instantly. 2factor autentif sites will require additional steps for logins. basically Firefox.
    html5 test dot com score: 515 out of 555 points. fast.com 950 Mbps.

as long as Edge will be supported you can still use Internet. If you have specific-things and will not allowed to use win7, run live cd instead or usb-live linux.
    to sandbox waterfox you could use something like sandboxie-plus.com/ . I have no idea if it will work since I'm not affiliate with them.

add VPN and enjoy Internet and life.

l.e.: what didn't like: don't have chrome auto-translate sites (japanese, german, whatever...)

14. Nykto

Nykto MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Thanks for repeating my point...?

15. hellb0und

hellb0und MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    Anyone else experiencing problems with Chromium v110 on Windows 7? I am using the Ungoogled version as a portable and launching the executable I get a kernel error of some sort. Will post pictures once I get home.

16. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Opera has declared End of Support for Windows 7 and 8/8.1......Version 95 will be last supported version for these OS'es.

17. molisz

molisz MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2016