BSOD Upon Win7 Reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TONPumper, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I went to reformat a computer the other day and received a BSOD that says, "Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed." I've tried to restart the installation process but get the same results, so my computer is stuck in an endless cycle. The BSOD also mentions the file(?) nvlddmkm.sys. I assume that this is the file causing the issue and support sites have said to update the display driver, but I can't access the system to fix the file. Does this sound like it's a problem with the HDD or a problem with the video card?

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    That's a video card issue. If you have an on board graphic chip disable it and try again.

P.S. Most likely, your video card is broken. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    We have images on our network, which is what I used to install the operating system. It was not a clean install; the HDD had an older system on it. We tried to put our standard image on it because an employee quit and had a lot of stuff on there. I cannot boot into Safe Mode because the system is currently hanging in the installation process and cannot continue in Safe Mode.

4. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes, I wiped the drive. It's not a corruption in the image, it's on the system. I can load the image onto other systems. I just need to figure out how and why this randomly happened.

5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Check post #2 of this thread. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...