BSOD Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Robotchicken738, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Robotchicken738

Robotchicken738 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2013
    #1 Robotchicken738, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    Recently I was just downloading something from Origins (EA game client) and my computer started hanging then this happened. I've recently chkdsk my HDD that was faulty and it has been going good until this happened. Should I xfer my OS onto another HDD any time soon or can I stave off the bad sectors with more repairs? I wanted to post a minidump but I couldn't get one so I'm going to post a quick photo I took (apparently I couldn't do that either due to limited posts so I'm going to try this if it's ok) --> h,t,tp://im,gur.com/65hb6W2 KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR STOP: 0x0000007A ( 0xFFFFF6FC50028D00, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0x000000016732880, 0xFFFFF8A0051BA000)

2. Robotchicken738

Jul 13, 2013
    h,t,tp://im,gur.com/LtMH8AH Image of the BSOD that happened 5 minutes after I started up a game. Once again it did not generate a minidump so I cannot get any more information. Is there a way to generate one somehow so I can see what's causing it exactly?

3. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #4 EFA11, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    I am almost 100% sure it is hdd failure of some sort, whether it be the plugs not in well, or as you already said, chkdsk shows errors. The error itself is HDD related. And no, if it cannot generate a dump after an error I assume it isn't able to write when the error occurs.

What I have done in the past, and it is time consuming for serious (many bad areas of an HDD) problems, is find out where all the bad sectors are and try to partion the hdd to leave that section of bad partitioned as unallocated and use the rest of the good part of the drive for regular use. This only works of you are having errors that are disc related. If it is your controller or other error, this will not help.

4. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    Something has ruined the page-in process (from disk to memory), might be from something you have downloaded (the game?).

Please configure the system failure settings to log the BSOD event. Press Win+R, type in --> systempropertiesadvanced <-- hit Enter > under Startup and Recovery, push Settings... button.

lRAuboh.png

The minidump log will be created on the next BSOD.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    right, as long as the HDD is capable of allowing the dump to be actually written. If it is failing and cannot write to the drive (as the error indicates), it may not be able to write.

6. Robotchicken738

Jul 13, 2013
    I've ran HDAT2 from hiren's bootcd on the faulty drive and it came back clean. I also did a memtest86 for 7 passes and it was okay. I also checked my cables and found they were connected to asmedia (Z77 extreme4) instead of the other SATA controllers. I've unplugged them and moved them accordingly. There hasn't been any BSODs so far but I haven't tested the culprit game/environment in which BSOD has occurred yet. I've also changed the restart settings in hopes of creating a minidump. So far no errors but I was planning on using DRevitalize 1.2 from hiren's bootcd on the bad drive overnight but I'm not sure if it'd work.

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #8 LatinMcG, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    i always run on the native sata chipset.. not on the extra one .. had similar issue once with jmicron or marvell sata

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Hopefully that takes care of it. Sounds good so far, unfortunately you still need to run the game that seems to recreate it heh

9. Robotchicken738

Jul 13, 2013
    #10 Robotchicken738, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    (OP)
    Okay so I've tried running DRevitalize and found out it took way too long so that was cancelled after one night but I've tried the game in the same environment as before and I got it to run for 4 hrs flawlessly. I think the SATA controller swapping might've done it because I'm booting way faster than before and no BSOD so far. I hope it stays this way lol Edit - So I just received a BSOD 30 minutes into the game h,t,tp://im,gur.com/cZ713hc . Once again I don't get a minidump file despite turning off auto restart and putting it on small memory dump. The hdd isn't showing any bad sectors so I don't know what's wrong. The game I'm trying to run is Dead Space 3 using Origins. Edit 2 - I just did a chkdsk on my systems drive and there's only 8 KB in bad sectors and there were no problems. I'm not sure why this BSOD seems exclusive to this one game.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #11 LatinMcG, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
    LOl only 8 Kb ? ive had BSOD with 4k (hdd freeze and cant write a pagefile hit)
    change hdd .. those Drevitalize and hddregen progs are a joke most of the times .. cant fix a physical bad sector or bad head!

11. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    Just a wild guess... but could it be the psu. maybe it's shutting down under load????

12. Robotchicken738

Jul 13, 2013
    I've never checked the PSU but doesn't kernel_data_inpage_error with 0x0000007A and ntfs.sys tie to HDD failures or driver conflicts? I thought PSU failure would have a different message.

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if power goes low.. hdd will fail for a second.. but likely it is a bad hdd

14. MakeMeBad

MakeMeBad MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2012
    yeh, you'd think think that ..... but i had a recent issue with that & each time it BSOD or shutdown it gave me a different error from HDD , ram ,gfx card to even motherboard ,according to errors my pc was toast.... & that just couldn't be possiable(well ,anythin possible today...LOL),cos it was brand new, it would shutdown under load in game with graphic detail ,wouldn't even do the win 7 assessment thing it would shutdown on the directx stuff ... sumtimes it would bsod & other time it would just reboot itself without warning... fixed the issue with a 650 watt psu , it had sumthin silly like 330 watt psu brand new, so it was really under powered... 60 bucks fixed it... i was happy & very lucky!!! :)

15. Robotchicken738

Jul 13, 2013
    #16 Robotchicken738, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    (OP)
    So recently I've used driververifier and it told me to restart so I did. Post-restart I'm getting 0x00000c4 BSOD so I can't access the computer. Surprisingly I got my pc to make minidump files. So here are the minidumps but I can't access my computer, only safe mode with networking atm. h,t,tp://w,w,w.mediafire.com/download/om3c69icmnbuc41/Minidump.rar. Edit - Okay that was actually a false alarm, it was the first time I've used DriverVerifier and I didn't know that it causes bsod so I just turned it off. However in regards to the regular BSOD, I've since used ccleaner to clean out some registry problems but maybe I should've done it earlier but I was hesitant in using a tool that alters registry but so far there's no BSOD.

16. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    You should turn the Verifier off, do that in the Safe Mode. Launch Driver Verifier, click on "Delete existing settings" and reboot or you could do this from an elevated Command Prompt by using the syntax --> verifier /reset

17. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    Took a while to reply, didn't noticed you have edit your post...anyway, congrats!