BSODs and other serious issues with a new installation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Marky Mark, Feb 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    Sup. I'm having serious problems with my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. This is a bit complicated, so bear with me.

I just got a new motherboard (MSI Z97 PC Mate) and CPU (i5 4440). I had to format my system SSD (Samsung 840 Evo) to make it work with the new chipset. Then I installed Windows (using a DVD made with an .iso downloaded from the MyDigitalLife Windows 7 Repository) on it and used Daz's loader 2.2.1 (default settings) to activate. Unfortunately, the system does all kinds of weird things now:

- Windows Explorer crashes a few times every day (could be because I used QTtabbar and Classic Shell to mod it, but I don't think that's the case considering I'm having other issues)
    - Firefox crashes frequently as well (could be because I imported my profile from before the mobo & CPU switch)
    - WinRAR and 7zip can't unpack some archives (CRC errors) which unpack no problem on another PC. Doesn't concern ALL RARs, just some. It does concern some RARs I made myself. This is REALLY suspicious.
    - can't install Dying Light (shows errors after a few seconds). The very same .iso installs no problem on another PC.
    - last but not least, I get one or two BSODs every day and it looks like the system itself is the culprit (link to dumps at the bottom of the post)
    - if that helps: one of the BSODs happened when I ran DXDiag, another one happened when I was using pan & scan keyboards shortcuts in MPC-HC and another one happened when I was playing one clip in MPC-HC and a second one in Windows Media Player.

Things I did etc.:
    - tested each memory stick with bootable Memtest
    - tested both slave HDDs with Hard Disk Sentinel (not that there are any system files on them)
    - tested the CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
    - installed Intel Chipset Device Software
    - used Samsung Performance Restoration to restore the SSD's performance (I think the BIOS of the previous mobo was set to IDE instead of AHCI because I didn't know AHCI even existed until about a week ago)
    - flashed the mobo with the newest BIOS
    - the graphics card (MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G) was fine before the switch, runs benchmarks (Unigine) and Dying Light just fine (didn't test other games)
    - installed all updates with Windows Update
    - uninstalled Intel's USB 3.0 driver when I realized it caused one of the BSODs

A few questions:
    - can the Windows loader cause those problems? Or does it just activate it and doesn't change key system files like ntoskrnl.exe or watchdog.sys?
    - how can I test my SSD to see if it's definitely OK? HDD testing software doesn't work for obvious reasons.
    - should I install Intel's drivers for the CPU's integrated graphics?

Dumps (viewable with Nirsoft BlueScreenView):

is.gd/mnb33
    is.gd/tyh38

I shortened those links because this forum wants me to have 20 posts just to post normal URLs for some reason.

2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    #2 coleoptere2007, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Have a look in event viewer, windows loader doesn't modify anything in system files. Something is related to your hardware i think :)

run sfc /scannow , download all drivers for your mobo, compare ur iso sha-1 and the one provided on msdn, give feedback asap

3. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    sfc /scannow only "fixed" my custom logon screen and something called Command Bar Tweaker (hides the Command Bar in Windows Explorer).

The log: is.gd/cgqoa3

I have installed everything for my mobo, even things I don't need like Smart Connect.

I don't know how to check the SHA-1 of the W7 .iso. It's the same one I used for the previous installation anyway, so I don't think there's a point.

After a few reboots WinRAR still can't extract those files, so it doesn't look like anything's changed.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm not sure if the Loader didn't affect the Kernel of Windows 7?! If that's happen, I would change from Ultimate to Enterprise or Professional VL and use the MTK Toolkit for activation. That would not have any effect to the Kernel or other system files!

It's just a guess. It's still possible that the loader may change temporary something in the system, whatever that might be! Maybe DAZ could tell more about it?!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    That's what I would do :

1- Download a Genuine ISO Digital River and clean install.
    2-Set up the essential Stuff especially manufacturer's drivers.
    3-Test the things that didn't function right on the previous OS.
    4-If things are still the same,so it's a Hardware problem.
    5-Consult peers in hardware section.

You may not like what I said above,but that's exactly what I would do myself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Why do you make such statements you have been here long enough and should know loader does not affect Kernel of Windows 7, and simple test would have been to uninstall loader. To me it is still hardware faults especially with BSOD's. Aninvitedsoul has given correct approach.

7. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    #7 Marky Mark, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    (OP)
    I just checked the checksums of my Windows 7 ISO and it seems suspicious because googling them only shows like 5 results:

SHA-1: c162759fb80c07f93ad3e28ca307a3aee5c52715
    MD5: 87e9a141d7baf8db996a789a8e6641cf

To be more specific: I created the ISO using Imgburn's default "create image file from disc" function (ISO9660 bootable & UDF 1.02).

I'll try using one of the Digital River ISOs (didn't even know you could download official ISOs just like that).

Some of the links are dead, though. Since the only difference between Media Refresh editions and "normal" ones is a small hotfix, I'm guessing it's OK to use those?

If the computer keeps pissing me off, I think I'll just return the mobo and the CPU and get new ones to get that out of the way.

8. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    Oh wow. Intel Smart Connect just did this and hang up the system (including the sound).

no_short_urls_allowed/1yUpON3

9. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    Unfortunately the Digital River ISO links are all either dead or impossible to download (downloading stops after a few seconds and can't be resumed).

Are there any mirrors for those files?

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. Marky Mark

Marky Mark MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    Thanks! Much appreciated.

If installing one of those doesn't work I think I'll return the new hardware.