Build 9879 - no audio

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moonburn, Nov 23, 2014.

1. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Hi,

In Windows 10 Technical preview, build 9879, I have no audio in my apps (that is: XBMC, Windows Media Player, Spotify, Video etc). The strange thing is, however, that audio in the Control Panel (audio test) and in my browser (Google Chrome, for instance radio streaming) is working. Just not in any other app. I tried with several video and audio files, it all fails.
    I cannot find much information about this issue, of course I reported it. So I am wondering:
    - Do other experience the same behavior?
    - Is there a workaround?
    - Can I downgrade my preview build (in the previous version, it was working)

Cheers,

Jim

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I would suggest to wait until tomorrow or the day after since MS will issue a corrected version of the latest public build

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be an Hardware problem! I didn't have such problem on an Desktop and neither a Laptop!

Had you check that the problem is same on speakers and headphones?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Please, uninstall the audio driver at the 'Device Management' and restart your system. If it is not detected you can install the latest audio driver downloaded from your system maker official website.

5. okaussie

okaussie MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    I, too, have the same problem. The embedded player on web sites do not produce audio but when I use audio files on my PC with Windows Media Player they work fine.

I like to listen to the police scanner for my area and under this build the only way to do it is to listen with their web player. When I try to use Windows Media Player I have no audio whatsoever.

This only has happened with this build. The other two were fine.

I also checked to make sure I have the same plugins as the other builds and I do. This tells me that the problem is with this build only..

Bill

6. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I checked if I get audio when plugging in headphones, but this does not help. I also ruled out issues with certain file types: I tried MP4, MPEG and AVI files -- they do not play audio in my apps but do play correctly when opening them in my web browser, so they use the browser's built in video player.
    Will wait for the new build, to see if it has been resolved. If not, I will try to remove my (VIA) audio driver.

7. moonburn

moonburn MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Tried to uninstall the driver, sound is working (audio test, browser) but video files still not working. Clear to me that this is an issue with the current build. Since there will be no builds this year, will revert to other version.

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is a simple codec issue > alpha stage