Building a new pc (cheap $1300 - $1400)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by foldonce, May 3, 2016.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    just about any new quality power supply today has an auto switch for 120 to 220

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Bat.1: That was my thinking. Get the fastest CPU/MoBo I could afford, and max it out with RAM. SSD for more speed and lower power consumption.

The system is future-proof. :)

@Joe C: True about the air being too dry and allowing ESC to build up. But the moisture tends to rot any and everything inside the PC case.
    It's worse if you live by the shore, because you get a buildup of sea salt in the air. (Corrosive and conductive at the same time...)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I hadn't been window umm Newegg shopping to compare prices on components and I was really amazed to see just how cheaply You can get a Quality 1150 or 1151 Socket MOBO for now. $80 to $100 US for the 97 Chipset 1150 boards and $100-$140 for a 170 chipset 1151 board. Nice :) Sometime back I had started pricing a 2011-v3 setup and without a Case and using my PSU I was closing in on $3000.00 so that idea went away really fast. :( I already knew that I can get a 2x8 16GB set of RAM for less than I paid for the 2x4 8GB sets in most of My PCs. I see far too many comments where someone had bought a "Cheapo" (50-60 Bucks) H110 MOBO then installed something like a i5-6600K or i7-6700 CPU and were having problems. Just couldn't get The TITAN X to push the framerates they expected :g:

Personally I spend all My time on my Laptop with an i5-3210M and 635M GPU so I'm planning on swapping Desktops with My 14 Year old Son. Gone into Permanent Semi-Retirement as a Pirate and planning on trying to run as Legit as a X-Pirate will ever get. The Kids and Grand-Kids are wanting to play online Games and between that and Denuvo :( Guess it's as good a time as any to switch over to Win-10.

My Dozer started out as a Athlon 2x4 650 CPU that someone had given to Me for swapping it to a FX in their Rig. The ASUS M5A99X EVO had the features I wanted, so along with a (later too small for My OCD Case), I was building. Used PSU, single stick of 4GB RAM, Radeon 5450, one ONLY 1TB mechanical. Now there's the FX-8150, 2x240GB SSDs, 2x2TB Mechanicals and 2x3TB Mechanicals. Blue-Ray, 16GB RAM, Corsair HX850 Gold PSU etc. etc. So even though I couldn't budget the Complete Build, having the MOBO that allowed the upgrades was the most important thing.

I'm far enough inland not to have the salt sea spray problems, just the humidity, having air conditioning sure helps :) In The Philippines it's a big problem except in the mountain provinces. One of the hardest things to get used to was when My Wife's family was visiting, if I walked outside to smoke a cigarette during a TV commercial, I'd come back in and find My TV turned off, unplugged, and covered :biggrin:

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree that sea air will rot out just about anything, but unless this pc is in a straw hut in a rain forest, then the Rh factor probably isn't any more of an issue than in the N.E. U.S. with an 89% Rh on a 98 degree day. Yes, high ambient temps will take it's toll on an unconditioned space

5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: He's in the Philippines. Not at all like the USA. :)

6. foldonce

foldonce MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Thank you all so much for your response. Still looking for a good quality local suppliers here. Learned a lot with the thought of having "futurability" didn't thought of that. Also, I'm running the desktop in an airconditioned room but it will not be running always.

7. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
  8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    #28 Bat.1, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Guess you didn't read my post about going with a 170 instead of 110 MOBO o_O RAM speed only needs to be 2133 since that's all it'll handle. Don't know what the power demand of the GTX 1070 will be but that's a great PSU if it can handle the card. I'll PM a link to a thread on KAT where someone is asking about a build with the same MOBO and CPU. Just pay attention to the posts by Judas "the little pony dude". Probably one of the most knowledgeable people I know when it comes to the newest technology. Even I ask Him for help sometimes :D

9. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
    I may have missed it Bat.1.. but I don't get the 170 or 110? Where is it? I'm just browsing around pcpartpicker. Choosing the rated ones. I'm really sorry.

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #33 Joe C, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    didn't see any socket 1151 boards on the FB link. The 170xx boards have pciexpress slots for the NVMe solid state hard drives, which will improve the performance of the SSD to it's potential. The H110xx boards do not have these slots. Now I currently do not have an NVMe solid state drive for my board, but I plan to in the near future

12. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
    I ended up buying

Since the prices we're really high here (for my or on my end) I ended up buying this specifications and will sooner add the things that I'm missing, Video card and a new 120Hz or more Monitor.

• GIGABYTE Z170X-GAMING 3 6TH GEN
    • Core i7-6700 3.4Ghz 6th GEN SKYLAKE
    • 8GB(2x4GB) G.SKILL RIPJAWS V BLACK DDR4 3200Mhz
    • SANDISK SSD PLUS 480GB SATA 6GBPS
    • CORSAIR RMx SERIES RM750x 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR 750W
    • TECWARE ALPHA MID TOWER GAMING CASE
    • ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW120L CPU LIQUID COOLER

What do you think guys?

13. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Going with the Z170X MOBO instead of the H110M board You were looking at is great idea :) Combined with the i7-6700 and Corsair Gold PSU You've got a Rig that should still be functioning perfectly 10+ Years from now. Investing in the right CPU/MOBO/PSU combo and waiting on the GPU is the right decision IMO. I would have opted for the air cooler mentioned before but I'm also a smoker and live in a rural area with a lot of dust. So how much is the total so far ??

14. foldonce

Apr 29, 2014
    Yeah I considered the dust factor and the heat also because sometimes I wanted to save electricity by not running a 24 hours air-conditioning. As of now this cost me to $1000.00.. I ran short with the money that's why I wasn't able to purchase a new Monitor, was opting for a 120 Hz or More. I'm waiting on the updates about video cards and given that i7 can support what I do as of now, yeah.. I have this.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I just got the Gigabyte 170X Gaming 5 board and I'm liking it, but with hind sight I think that I would have liked the Gaming 7 board better. I've only had this new board for about a week and it does everything I expect. When I'm ready to make the jump to Windows 10, I'll get an NVMe ssd then

16. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    You should make your own list in pcpartpicker, it will act as a base for any changes we suggest. The idea would be then to take all the changes suggested, make a new list, and have it 'fine-tuned'. Being too open actually makes it much more difficult to suggest different parts! We might not be able to give you exact model numbers etc since that's not the idea, but we can guide the direction of the parts which will then give you a little flexibility regarding availability.

17. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012