Buying Windows 7 OEM!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by KiwiDave, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dimsum

Dimsum MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    The simple rule if you aren't going to download the official ISOs and use a loader and prefer to use a more legitimate way - then buy from KNOWN suppliers. Nobody is going to give you software legally for silly prices. Stick to stores that you know and can rely on eg. newegg.com/ebuyer.com. Sure they might be a little more than some unknown site from russia, but at least you can have peace of mind that you will receive the REAL thing.

Also remember that while OEM copies are cheaper, they don't provide support or allow you to install it on more than 1 PC. If you want official support (phone/email) and might install it on more than 1 PC, then you will need to pay more and buy the RETAIL version.

At the end of the day, whether you buy OEM or RETAIL depends on how confident you are with regards to building/messing around with PCs and/or peace of mind.

Only Microsoft offer legal download copies through their student network or developer networks. If anybody else is charging for download copies, then it's most likely a scam. Also if you are ordering real physical DVDs of 7 from some unknown shop online, then don't be shocked if all you end up getting is a pirated DVD-R that BIE released.

2. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #25 HSChronic, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    because it is not illegal to sell OEM versions, it is just against the licensing terms to install it on a self-built PC. It is one of those stupid things that Microsoft doesn't make clear and changes it at will almost. If you want to be legit in the anal sense of the word then no you can't use an OEM key.

4. KiwiDave

KiwiDave MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    I had originally had the intention of buying OEM version and came across the product keys being sold on ebay.The key is a retail key and i downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate from Digital River.Still validated.:D

5. JungleDrums

JungleDrums MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2009
    Bought a MSDN key on ebaY - used Paypal to pay for it.

The seller got blacklisted on ebaY for selling MSDN keys - Paypal refunded purchase price!

Key still works !! ;););) :rolleyes:

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Now

That is funny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. zolookas

zolookas MDL Junior Member

May 13, 2007
    Real question here would be if you buy a key from ebay and use it are you still a pirate?
    I know you can activate Windows using it, but i am asking about legal things.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes and MSDN keys cannot be given away or sold.

9. KiwiDave

KiwiDave MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2009
    The key I bought, i know exactly who I paid as I have been to his website (in the US) and he is selling keys to all versions of Windows as well as security software dirt cheap.So cheap i think it really is worth paying $60 if you can afford it,its much better than paying $600 NZ! I tried to find the seller on ebay, i think he is still blacklisted. On his own website,you have to create an account now as there were people downloading the software for free (without key from his download page! ) As for my Win 7 Ultimate it is still validated and receiving updates.

10. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
  11. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Yes - but so is every method listed on these forums.

However - if you were to buy a DVD that has been professionally produced to look real and you report it to M$ they will probably give you a legitimate copy like they used to when there were some very realistic fakes of XP going around. However a good fake that M$ will give you a real copy for in response to info provided will not be cheap as they cost a bit to fake.