Bypass Windows 7 Extended Security Updates Eligibility

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by abbodi1406, Nov 17, 2019.

1. the_soft45

the_soft45 MDL Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Any progress on Vista support? I recently created an up to date Vista ISO with all Vista and Server 2008 updates, so I can test Kurwica with it if needed.

2. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    As far as we've seen, Kurwica works on Vista and the test update installs successfully. We'll have to wait and see if the actual ESU updates will work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    SSU KB4531787 ExtendedSecurityUpdatesAI.dll
    Code:
    Windows::WCP::ExtendedSecurityUpdatesAI::ExtendedSecurityUpdates::Install This update is not for Workstations.
    so, GetProductInfo will have to return Server SKU always :)

4. javre

javre MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2019
    Will it work with home premium? Thanks

5. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    On Windows 7 Home Premium and Home Basic you'll have to use Kurwica (the tool currently available here), which will allow for the manual installation of the updates.

Other editions will be able to download those updates as well, through simply checking for updates with Windows Update and will not suffer from Kurwica's performance issues.
    I'll post more info when I'm done working with the WSUS proxy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Lioninstreet

Lioninstreet MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2016
    Probably an obvious question here by a newb, but I read thru all of this thread and no one seems to have asked this.

Clearly on patch day 2/2020 WU wont be working, meaning no notification updates are available much less an automatic download of them. And if I read Enthousiast's post correctly, even with the ESU Bypass installed, WU won't be able to identify the KB id(s) for the first push out of the ESU update either.

If that's that case, it still seems fairly opaque about how one could to identify the monthly KB id(s) for what will be several years of ESU updates much less use the Microsoft update catalog to download them.

Anyone have a thought on this?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    They can be posted here in this thread or in the windows 7 Hotfix Repo or maybe simplix will create usable updatepacks like he does now for many years? or the devs can come up with a WU enabling feature, we'll have to wait for those developments.

8. Lioninstreet

Lioninstreet MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2016
    All options sound workable. I'm questioning more how to identify & capture them before deciding on a distribution/installation solution. Prolly won't be able to come up with much of an answer until the first ESU update or two has been pushed.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Like the test update, they probably will be available on catalog and/or wsus, it's all speculation atm.

10. Lioninstreet

Lioninstreet MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2016
    True that, grateful to the dev's they've gotten this far with the project, not to mention your supporting these threads.

11. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    @Mazufa

The Bypass only allow you to install ESU updates (mostly manually)
    receiving ESU updates from WU is a different matter

@Lioninstreet
    as far as it seems, ESU updates will continue with the same scheme and distrbution channels (MU catalog site)

meaning, Security Monthly Rollup, and maybe Security Only update too (along with separate IE11 Cumulative update)

12. So, I'm about to add this registry key to begin with disabling "EOSNotify", but I have it saved as a .reg file under Notepad for preparation of importing it to Registry Editor, and this is what it looks like:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify] "DiscontinueEOS"=dword:00000001
    However, I get a warning telling me this:

Have I done anything wrong? :\

13. Mazufa

Mazufa MDL Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019

Ok but apparently I have, however, done the installation correctly as I mentioned?

You said I had to manually install ESU updates in the future. Can you tell me if Windows Update is downloading these updates and then I have to install them myself? If this is not the case so where can I get the ESU update because I am now already passing?

I apologize for any confusion because I have a little English. I have yet to use a reasonable amount of google translator, but I've progressed a lot in my studies, English language :)

14. cirujatuc79

cirujatuc79 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    Thank you very much! It's very usefull for me!

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

16. Mazufa

Mazufa MDL Junior Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Thanks for this Enthousiast! :) I apologize for any confusion that may sometimes come as I do not yet fully understand English.

About that registry entry I mentioned above, I've modified it slightly so that it comes as two lines but when about to import it, I still get the same message. Guess I wasn't doing anything wrong at all but as before, I want to make sure that it won't muck up my system.

Or otherwise I'll just leave it and let that EOL warning pop up when it wants to and easily dismiss it, and none of this nagware crap.