[C++] Books

Discussion in 'Mixed Languages' started by splinter_, Dec 18, 2012.

1. splinter_

splinter_ MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2012
    #1 splinter_, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Sorry guys,I can't put the links(20 posts). So I put the names of the books.

C++ BASICS
    "C++ Primer Plus(6th edition)" - Albeit the repetitive title, this is arguably the best book for C++ beginners - and programmer beginners in general.

"C++ Programming in Easy Steps" -Haven't read it, but a more well thought out color book for people with no programming experience.

C++ in 21 Days - "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in One Hour a Day(6th edition)"
    A good tutorial that quickly covers the high points of C++ - Recomended if you only have to use minimal amounts of the language, or need to use a lot of STL, because the book has around 400 pages on those libraries.

C++ REFERENCE

"C++ in a Nutshell" - A library and reference tutorial

GUI API's

Qt - A simple cross platform GUI API, my personal recomendation for making GUIs. Here is the most up to date book.
    "Advanced Qt Programming: Creating Great Software with C++ and Qt 4 (Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development)" <-- The book name.

GTK+ - Another simple cross platform GUI API, although not many books are published on it.
    "Foundations of GTK+ Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source)"

Win32 - An old API, rumored to be deprecated by .NET programming. Complex syntax, recommended only for experienced programmers and people selfish enough to make single platform GUIs.
    "Windows System Programming (4th Edition) (Addison-Wesley Microsoft Technology Series)"

Game Programming

OpenGL - Most common 3D API. The super bible for super programmers.
    "OpenGL SuperBible: Comprehensive Tutorial and Reference (5th Edition)"

SDL - Another Popular API, I think it can be used for either 2D and 3D, but not entirely sure.
    "Focus On SDL (Focus on Game Development)"

Panda3D - A good open sauce Game Engine.
    "Panda3D 1.7 Game Developer's Cookbook"

I hope that this will help someone.

I WILL UPDATE THIS THROUGH YOUR REQUESTS!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. splinter_

splinter_ MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2012
    No problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...