Can a Firewall be used to block any and all contact with microsoft ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Melvarius, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    With the Alarm Frequency set to Very High, if you shutdown your internet connection, and delete the existing svchost entry (the entire one) under 'Application Rules' in 'Network Security Policy', im sure you will be asked the next time svchost tries to access this IP (or any IP for that matter) because thats simply how Comodo works. Otherwise there must be something terribly wrong with your setup...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    #22 Lenmaer, Oct 3, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
    Event viewer is strange. Because I noticed that everytime you modified the compatibility mode of an application, an event was silently written without having any popup.
    So I assume that everytime you modify something on an application or in the registry he writes an event.
    Actually I'm pretty sure that it tracks down everything that the computer does and only shows popups for critical things.

3. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #23 HotCarl, Oct 3, 2009
    I don't know what event viewer would be doing making anywhere from 8 to 10+ simultaneous connections on different ports to the same IP every time I started my PC, and maintain those open connections for the duration of my session (until I shut the PC down). I would do a fresh boot and let my PC sit for like 15 minutes to ensure everything loaded and whatnot...and checked all my connections just to see most of the active connections were to this Microsoft IP that is apparently "Event Viewer"...and they would stay open (hence the reason I blocked the IP in my hosts file)...sounds a little fishy...

4. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #24 HotCarl, Oct 3, 2009
    Thanks, but as I said, I have an entry in my hosts file, so it does not matter anymore. I do not wish do delete my existing policy with all my application and connection settings just to deal with 1 IP that I can easily block with a simple hosts entry. ;)

Thanks for the help and information though, it is appreciated. :)

5. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Don't know, they're lots of things hidden in windows that M$ never told us and never will.

6. HotCarl

HotCarl MDL Addicted

Jul 21, 2009
    #26 HotCarl, Oct 3, 2009
    That is why I am suspicious of the connections and blocked them in my hosts file...now I have no more suspicious connections and no problems with event viewer (which is very odd since you would think that if I blocked a connection that event viewer relied on for real-time information (or whatever) then event viewer should be hindered in some way from displaying the information that it needs to display, but everything in event viewer still works flawlessly...using it now...(unless event viewer is not receiving and only sending info to MS, in which case I want the IP blocked for this reason as well)).

I think I will be on the safe side and keep the IP blocked. ;)

7. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    I still continues to write events but now doesn't send them anymore. :D

8. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Alright, no prob. :)

Just in case you wonder why it is necessary to delete the entry first; Comodo allows a couple of system things by default, among them said svchost. (It will already be there after the installation.) So unless you delete the policy for svchost and have Comodo make a new one with your own rules you wont be asked for this process since a proper rule for it already exists.

(Thats why the first thing i do after a reinstall is delete all premade policies and set 'Firewall Behaviour Settings' to 'Custom Policy Mode' and 'Alert Frequency' to 'Very High'. Under 'Global Rules' i also delete all preset rules and add only a 'Block:In:FromIPAny:ToIPAny:protocolAny'. That way i can be sure that nothing can get in and nothing makes it out by accident.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    comodo is the best FW u can find for windows, i don't use the AV, but the defense + is great too to control any program to see what it does, wich services it tries to use, wich dll it tries to load, and lot more things,
    it's a great security tool to know all actions of unknown program u would like to launch on your OS.:)
    and it's freeware !!! :)

10. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    cheers for the assist guys.
    all done and dusted. (well nearly lol)

One last question about Comodo. Can you block specific ranges?
    e.g. 127.0.0.0 through to 127.255.255.255

I'd have thought you could but I had a look in the help me file and couldn't see anything. Probably not looking hard enough or in the wrong place (as ya do)

11. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I cannot see how you can stop them, unless your unplugged. They are very smart people working with ms including nsa people, to make sure people cannot stop them connecting to your computer.

I doubt even things like comodo or any other strong firewall is real 100% strong, when your dealing with ms, and things like nsa etc....

12. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #32 KotaXor, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    In that case, I should be blocking it too with my host file.:eek:

Not only for privacy, but also a waste of bandwidth.

13. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes you can. I'm not sure how off the top of my head, but it's possible and not difficult to do.
    But 127.0.0.1 is Local Host (your computer)

I'd be more worried about the Illuminati if I were you... Maybe even aliens.
    You know you can block their mind control rays with the shiny side of tinfoil???

14. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    doh! i know 127.... is the local host just used that as an example I'd obviously use the address I wanted to block.

Oh and I use the tin foil too. once I've cooked the turkeys in it. Any ideas which veggies go well with Windows Millenium and Vista two of the yummiest turkeys microsoft ever produced xx

15. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

And who implemented the host file in windows? The plot thickens.

Do you really think the host file will block windows from phoning home?

16. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Of course.

Goto 'Firewall / Common Tasks / My Blocked Network Zones'.

Click 'Add' and select 'A New Blocked Address...'.

Rest see attached picture.

Attached Files:

17. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    What was done to me by people, will be done to so many people, and the only difference is that i knew about it.

Mind control is a fact and one that hardly anyone has any idea of what they can do.

But lets not bring it here, being seeing as microsoft are using these techs i thought it may be nice to bring it up in a few threads here as this mainly is all about microsoft and windows forum.

18. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Those people in ms and nsa must have more than just that to get into your system. There is no way you can stop them getting on, unless you use old tech computer and stay offline.

I would suggest that the newer chips and motherboards may also be having some ways to deal with you not going online as well. They must be looking at getting into computers that are offline too.

19. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #39 twiz, Oct 4, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
    I's in ur mind..... firin' ur synapses.

If mind control exists, why is there no legion of enslaved controlling the world?
    Why is there war? Surely you could just mind control those who disagree with you into doing your bidding, or laying down their arms and awaiting to be slaughtered.

Why bother installing a backdoor into your computer when they can get it directly from your mind?

That light on your motherboard, that means their signal is transmitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Melvarius

Melvarius MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2009
    Cheers for that PHAZOR.

I found it after sendin the post.

As always appreciate your assistance.

Glad someone's wearing their tin foil hat lol.

Now for some fun he he he

M$ and mind control? why bother? it's common knowledge the vast majority of windows users are mindless. So nothing there to control pmsl.

The rest of us are on forums like this teaching and learning.

And now if ya don't mind... I have this uncontrollable urge to face in the direction of Redmond and pray. Hmmmmm....

Then I've got to send a signed blank cheque to someone called William Gates for installing new windows in ma house.

Now where did I put my weed.... The paranoia is wearing off

Toodle pip folks!!!