Can a laptop prevent installation of Non Genuine Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 773088, Jan 3, 2018.

First of all, I do not support any kind of software piracy. This question does refer to piracy but from a technical perspective so I hope this is on topic here.

While reviewing laptops on Amazon shopping site, I came across a couple of models I think from Acer that were offering DOS or Linux as OS. The description came with an interesting disclaimer.

Manufacturer recommends usage of only genuine Windows 10 with this machine. Pirated version of Windows cannot be installed on this laptop

Now how would a laptop know that windows being installed is pirated in any way? I think you can always install Windows 10 without a key and just use it forever with its limitations like no ability to personalize or watermarks and other such limitations, technically you are using it without paying for it.

Would the Firmware be having some intelligent built in mechanism to talk to MS activation servers when online and check if the windows copy is genuine or not, and if not somehow block the usage it first place, just a thought?

1. digital john

digital john MDL Senior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    when connected to the internet...
    windows checks if it's activated and when it does it can tell the key used is Genuine or not

2. Basically what I am trying to understand is, could the laptop be having some 'magical' powers embedded in it to somehow refuse to install 'pirated' windows 10? It also then boils down to what 'pirated' really means.

With Windows installed, checking with MS Activation servers online and flagging the copy of Windows as non genuine if so, is anyways I guess a standard practice of Windows 10 regardless of the hardware be it any laptop of any make or even an assembled desktop. It would occur anyways with a copy of Windows 10 (be it legit or non genuine) installed on any laptop I believe.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Regarding the Thailand Law, which may be in other countries similar, the use of pirated software would 'exceed' the given warranties given by the manufacturer.

Acer in this case, would not do any warranty services, if the OS on a computer of their company would be driven by a pirated Operating System, here Windows 10. The wording as posted by the OP isn't really correct just leaves a lot of possibilities 'open'! @:Enthusiast is right about pointing that it's mean a just a Disclaimer!

Simply, it doesn't matter what kind of OS you install. it just would work fine if it was created for the used hardware, here an Acer Laptop! On the other hand, we should no 'close the eyes' that Microsoft wouldn't be able to check if a used KMS (Key Management Server) is legal or from the 'wild'! I know of one company in the south of Thailand, which used such KMS and got sued in court by Microsoft. That case was opened by the Forensic team of Microsoft itself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Most probably what they want to say is that bios doesnt contain any windows 10 key.

5. halasz

halasz MDL Member

Jan 13, 2013
    Yes. It is called secure boot. If this is enabled you can't. I am not aware of anything where you can't turn it off though.

6. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Short answer: no. Otherwise Windows piracy would already be a thing of the past.