Can a Upgrade 8 Pro to 8.1 USB Stick Be Made

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Jvadood, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Jvadood

Jvadood MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    I want to make a USB backup of 8.1 where I can either install it from my legal Windows 8 Pro upgrade or from the 8.1 usb stick itself (even if I have to install it twice like we did with windows 7).

I managed to make a 8.1 pro USB stick (made from neighbors iso file) where he has the full version I have the upgrade same windows essentially. However when I went to test it .. it says my key isn't valid. I just don't want to have to download 8.1 anytime I might have to redo my system (I know I can make a backup with paragon and other programs but I think everyone gets the point as what Im looking for here). Can a 8.1 usb stick be made using my legal Win8 Pro Upgrade key? o_O

2. eydee

eydee Guest

Just a wild guess, but I think you should be able to install with the generic key (available everywhere) and then "slmgr -ipk" your legal key into the system after install. Someone confirm or deny this please.

3. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Yep. Though you can also just enter your key from PC settings under Activation.

4. Jvadood

Jvadood MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2012
    The thread Windows 8.1 Pro WMC generic activation tokens creation ... answered my questions too .. thanx guys