Can connect to the internet but not to websites

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by glueaccident, Nov 28, 2009.

1. glueaccident

glueaccident MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2009
    Yesterday morning, thanksgiving morning, I tried getting online to find a recipe. I opened my firefox (i hate internet explorer) and it said "the connection to the server has been reset"

I am used to my modem giving me trouble, so after a few times of resetting the modem (and flipping out) I called my service provider. The tech support kept having em do the same things over and over again until finally i had to get of the phone to rush to get the turkey in the oven.

Since i didnt get any good advice, I did two system restores, uninstalled and reinstalled my firefox, and then i realized something. I cannot access websites, but I can sign onto trillian, my instant messenger program. once i knew that i IMed everyone on my list beggin for help. no one knows what to do.

I turned off IPv6 and that did nothing. turned off my anti virus. used windows defender. nothing. help me please. I need the internet, i work form the internet and there HAS to be a way to fix this. I looked it up and saw a lot of people had the same issues but they are all with windows xp.

I am using VISTA. my computer is less than one year old. bought it from best buy and they wont help me unless i pay out my bum for their help. I need HELP.

PLEASE GIVE ME HELP. I do not know how to ping or anything so please explain this as in depth as you can. HURRY! I work from home and need to be able to get online.

I am writing this on my sisters computer at her house. All I can do on my computer is IM. I wont be here forever so you can IM me at AIM achaoticwhisper BUT YOU MUST SAY YOU ARE FROM THIS FORUM FOR THIS PROBLEM or you will be BLOCKED.

I have had a few people try to help and no one knows what to do, or they just tell me to do what I have already done.

2. shtrumf

shtrumf MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2009

Hi there,welcome to mdl.First of all,tell me the names of all the software you have installed on your PC.It my be a firewall,or an anti virus suite that has a firewall built in and it's blocking all your Internet traffic .Did you installed something lately like a driver for you PC.If firefox doesn't work, is Internet Explorer working?