Can I be able to delete my Instagram account and data associated to it?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Akinator, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Akinator

Akinator MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2020
    Hey guys!

Seriously it is very much annoying to know that your data is being sold and used by millions of companies just to target you with their advertisements.

I have deactivated my account, I also knew my data that is being used had so many private conversations, and I’m feeling sick now.

I have deactivated it but don’t know that following these steps and procedures will definitely remove my whole data from the internet or not? However I followed these steps but did not whether it will help me delete my account or not, as more or less every guide shows the same steps https://www.purevpn.com/internet-privacy/how-to-delete-instagram-account

In knowing that after deactivation, I can log back in any time, it means my data is still there when deactivated, so the chances are that when I delete my whole account my data will still be there.

Because a security researcher has discovered a massive cache of data for millions of Instagram accounts, publicly accessible for everyone to see. The account included sensitive information that would be useful to cyberstalkers, among others. As per study that I have read

Reference to the news (https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/05/22/cache-of-49m-instagram-records-found-online/)

Due to such news I am much more concerned with the data that I post/we post online, so are there any ways around to remove it.

Like I want to delete my Instagram account and facebook account too, however I have deactivated them for the time, till I get the proper solution to this.

Your thoughts?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @Akinator
    There is nothing to think about ....
    All your data and conversations will remain there and will only be destroyed after the Earth ceases to exist, that is, after a black hole appears in place of the solar system. The other question is whether anyone will ever watch them or not. You are absolutely correct - all Your data stays there, even all deleted data and messages stays there.
    You can only make it invisible to You and then and if You like, You can think until You die that You deleted Your account ...
    Good Luck and take care of Your health..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    @Akinator
    Instagram I have no clue .... but if memory is correct if you deactivate your account you have to wait three month's without logging into that account for it to be deleted.
    if you login anytime before the three month's you have to deactivate again and wait again.

Do not quote me on this ... But big corporate like FB and insta and alike are not allowed to delete account straight away.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...