Can I bypass WAT with my W7 Upgrade DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by AzJazz, Oct 25, 2009.

1. AzJazz

AzJazz MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    I received my Win7 Pro Upgrade DVDs a couple of days ago.

Is there anything I can do with my Asus P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS to avoid going through WAT?

Or, do I need to install a clean version of WinXP and install through that since I purchased Upgrade DVDs instead of the Retail Non-Upgrade version?

Thank you ...

AzJazz

2. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    #2 twiz, Oct 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    you can't upgrade form xp to 7 without a clean install. So just boot from dvd and install windows, and if it asks for the xp key or something just do it. Since you've purchased win7 and xp you don't have to worry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AzJazz

AzJazz MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2009
    Hi, guys! Thanks for getting back on this!

I may not have been clear - so, here's more info on my situation:

I have a WinXP MCE OEM disk from my Dell laptop PC. I want to install the Win7 upgrade on my new desktop PC (it's a quad core with 6 GB of RAM), but I just want to try it out for awhile before I fully commit myself to Win7. I don't know if I'll be using the Upgrade disk on my desktop or on my laptop yet (if at all).

So, I'm basically looking for any method to do a clean install of Win7Pro on my desktop PC using my Upgrade DVD. I don't know if I have to use the Dell DVD (possibly modifying my Asus P6T BIOS to make it "Activated"?), or if I can modify my Asus P6T BIOS and just use the W7 Upgrade DVD.

One way or another, I would like to avoid WAT altogether, just on philosophical grounds. I hate the concept of nazi-ware. Microsoft already has my money.

Any ideas?

AzJazz