Can I move from OEM to retail in order to get Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rEApEAt, Jul 11, 2015.

1. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    I have assembled a new PC in the beginning of 2014.

I own a legit retail Windows 7 Pro serial number, but it was (and still is) stored inside a TrueCrypt container which lies in an external drive. Then, instead of installing Windows with my legit serial... I felt lazy and used that Daz thing. :eek:

Now my Windows 10 is "reserved" and, of course, I want to get my free copy; but I'm using the loader, which (as far as I know) is not advisable.

Can I use the loader again to deactivate my Windows and then activate it again with my legit serial? Is there any chance to mess the whole thing doing that?

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    simply delete the loader and activate with your key > done

3. hypermaxxx

hypermaxxx MDL Member

Jun 12, 2009
    veni vidi vici

4. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    #4 rEApEAt, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Depending on the user, there always is a chance to mess anything & everything. You would not believe what I seen users do...

6. dimitrov.stoyan

dimitrov.stoyan MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    Great! Did not know I that can do this.

Thanks guys!

7. emerica243

emerica243 MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2010
    Not understanding this as the loader is for OEM copies of windows. His key is a retail key, therefore the pids would be different and his retail key should not be accepted on his oem flavor of win7.

8. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    I certainly would believe. I don't even work with computers, but I have seen many self-inflicted disasters.

Years ago a co-worker (good fellow) suddenly discovered that administrative accounts are less secure than restricted accounts. Then, yes, he created a restricted account and deleted his own (and only) administrative account. What a mess... Of course, I was there and helped him.

But computer 'technicians' can do even worse than users. I can tell at least one creepy story about this. Digital life's unfair.

9. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    The loader is not "for OEM copies" of Windows. The loader just simulates (or emulates) a OEM copy, even in a regular retail installation.

When you unload the loader your machine became deactivated... No OEM, no retail, nothing. Like a virgin! I mean, like a virgin after the grace period. And it's ready to accept a retail key.

At least this is how I'm understanding the whole thing...

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #10 EFA11, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. TheCandyManHK

TheCandyManHK MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2015
  12. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    #14 rEApEAt, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    (OP)
    It's an interesting idea which did not occurred to me!

Still, we cannot forget that Windows 8 was a huge fail, and I think that MS really wants, above all, to push Windows 10. They obviously want to obtain a monopoly on all our devices: desktops, laptops, tablets, cell phones, even refrigerators; and, at the same time, slip to the subscription model, "software as a service". In this scenario, the last thing they want is to piss off their users, illegal or not.

I feel like MS is facing a turning point, with two main options: to conquer the world (and not only the desktops / notebooks) OR to become almost irrelevant (the Office developers). Of course I may be totally wrong in all points, but that's how I feel the present situation.

update

"This is our time to own the cloud" (Kevin Turner @ WPC 2015 day 2)
    "And we will smash our competitors (like evil Google) as they were ants" (Kevin Turner @ WPC 2015 day 2)
    The first quote is literal.