Can I open This up??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jime1, Dec 21, 2014.

1. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
  2. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Congrats on getting the power brick open with minimal blood loss. It could be the coaxial connector has a broken wire. They are easy enough to replace if you have soldering iron and wire strippers. Have you tried reading it's voltage with a DMM? (Digital multimeter / voltmeter).

3. jime1

jime1 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Well I put the naked adapter on a live socket.. and tested(with a tester) the two wires coming from the transformer... the light in the tester didn't glow..
    So I concluded that the adapter was Dead for good! :(

4. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Hey there jime, I can't believe there's another nic out there as cheap as ME, lol...
    Does the thing smell burnt? If the transformer is cooked, sell it for scrap; it would cost WAY more to rewind a transformer than to buy a new power supply!
    Do you have a VOM for testing resistance? (you should - they're cheap and they're super handy!) Because maybe it's making power but the cord isn't conducting all the way to the plug (a common problem).
    Whenever you have electronics to troubleshoot, but have no technical manual or schematic to help diagnose the issue, you can at least start with a visual inspection of the solder joints - are they smooth and flowing-looking? Or are they bubbled-up (meaning you need to reflow the joint) or lumpy looking (too cold a joint, also needs a reflow)?
    Next, look at the components. A bulging or burst capacitor is easy to find and cheap to replace. Diodes can actually explode, but in that case you usually also have to figure out what caused them to fail.
    In the worst case scenario, go through every trash can you pass looking for returnable cans & bottles. In a couple hours you should be able to scrape up enough dough to buy a used power supply off Ebay!