Can i use a windows 7 retail key on a system with windows 7 oem installed on it?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by diamondx12, Jan 14, 2010.

1. diamondx12

diamondx12 MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2009
    ok here is my situation. I have a pc with windows 7 Home premium 64-bit OEM installed on my system. I have custom built my system. My question is, oh by the way my windows 7 is still in 30 day trial mode still, so if i get a windows 7 retail key from microsoft, Can i use that retail key to activate my OEM 30day trial windows 7 to full activation mode. or I am stuck with getting a windows 7 oem key from like a place called newegg? Why i want a retail key is i can do lots of hardware changes like processor changes or motherboard changes as with oem it is restricted to the motherboard so when that goes there goes my windows 7 unless i get the same motherboard again. So when i use the retail key will i have to reinstall windows 7 to retail mode or will it take the current windows 7 oem installation already. And also if i can't use a retail key and i am forced to get a oem key. Will i have to reinstall windows 7 home premium oem in order to use the oem key that came with the software. the reason i ask is i heard each oem windows 7 disc has a serial number embedded into the program. i hope i am making a lot of since. please tell which direction i can go. thanks in advance.

sincerely,

diamond12

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    You should be able to use a retail key on your current install of win7 because All versions have all license channels. I would go for the retail key dude. Just remember to backup your activation with either paymyrent's pkeyrestore program or use an image backup program. You can also hactivate it by using a bios mod/loader(softmod) that is free if you like bud. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...