Can Insiders do a clean install and activate yet?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thorbsd, Jul 29, 2015.

1. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    I used every fast ring Insider release up to 10162 (skipped 10166) and downloaded 10240 when it was first released.

10162 had a problem where it wouldn't activate (so it never got activated), then right as I updated to 10240, MS shut down Insider activations and I've been totally locked out of using Windows 10 since... (Thanks MS)

So anyway, now that Windows 10 has officially been released, can I finally install 10 AND activate? Or am I still locked out for god knows how long until they open up the Insider program again? (I don't have another Windows license/key that is eligible to be used to upgrade to 10 in a virtual machine)

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You are because you possibly lost your activation. It is sad though.

3. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    You can certainly activate without being attached with your insider MSA so why don't you do that and after you are activated just log out and reconnect with it or did you start with an invalid OS?

4. thorbsd

thorbsd MDL Junior Member

Jun 9, 2013
    #4 thorbsd, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    (OP)
    I have Windows 8.1 Pro on my laptop, but I'm not upgrading my laptop for a while.

During the "Windows Insider" program I was using Windows 10 within a virtual machine. I don't have a second pre-existing Windows system/license/key that I can transfer and use inside a virtual machine. I only have the key provided by the Insider program. When I try to use the key that was provided by Microsoft for the insider program to install Windows 10, it still just says that the key is blocked (and has said this ever since July 15th when they apparently shut down the Insider program).