Can Microsoft do anything to permanently prevent piracy of Windows OS?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Ming_the_Merciless, Mar 29, 2014.

1. BAV0

BAV0 MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2011
    That's indeed a very interesting idea, I have been thinking about that a lot lately, but you can't go 100% cloud based, there will always be a need for offline OSes!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Of course, agreed. Many people / enterprises require offline OSes for security reasons, paranoia, confidentiality, a long etc.

3. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    But even a cloud hosted service has physical servers that are located in a physical building running some type of OS. I would think that when a cloud OS boots up it has to talk to something to validate itself. A Cloud OS would not put an end to piracy but would definitely provide a much tougher challenge for those interested. ;) Im interested in seeing the long future of the Windows OS.

~MC

4. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Biometrics?
    Calling "Home" every logon?
    1 key tied to bios upon activation?
    An ED-209?
    The core OS shipped and built into an encrypted SSD.
    Installs that only allow for an "online" account profile that adheres to strict licensing?
    A dongle?
    A pci card with keys for the right to install Windows.
    On-demand downloads of the OS only tied to an account?
    An eeprom.

I dunno, what else coul they possibly throw at us?

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    ... are you serious? don't tell'em what they never should develop :D

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    In this case, MDL goes MHL (My Hacker Life).. :D:biggrin:

7. eydee

eydee Guest

OP is a Microsoft employee, M$ doesn't know what to do about piracy and comes here for help/ideas... :)

8. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    MS: A Windows piracy user is (much much) better than a Mac user. :D

9. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    This will be short and sweet NO anything on the internet is hackable and crackable ask a bank or a large retail business or tec companies o_O

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't think and even didn't believe Ms think they are smarter, they know very well that the hacking of their (and other) software is simply unavoidable! It thgey would thinking they're smarter than anybody else, they would be down for a long time already!:cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. pbassjunk

pbassjunk MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2009
    Lower the price so it becomes less of a chore and more of an impulse purchase. While I know an OS is obviously important, getting one to wrap their head around a piece of software that costs more than a good chunk of components in a PC while not actually being software that is 'used' can be very tricky. Most people buy computers with the mindset of it being like any other appliance.

Personally, the only time I buy Windows is during the initial $40ish retail pre-sales, all the way back to Vista. The first real Windows-ish OS I ever bought was OS2 Warp (college - it was super cheap over NT at the time - like $79? vs $199 or something), went to Win 2K once we started getting the MS EDU pricing ($10 or $20 something) and have been upgrading off that ever since. I will never spend more than $50 on an OS.

(comp sci.. it was all about (sgi) irix and (pc) slackware, yggsdrasil and redhat)

12. pbassjunk

pbassjunk MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2009
    Microsoft has never been the best or brightest kid on the block, they've just had the most allowance to buy off their betters.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Nothing is 100% secure!

Didn't we had some of them in the past already? Remember the the so called Hardware Dongle's of many software developer's incl. Autodesk (AutoCAD) and many others? And where they are today?

A few month ago I was draw some of those Dongle's in the bin from Autodesk for AutoCAD 2, from NTI the one for CD Copy Tools, for Thai Font's under Dos 2 and 3.x and Windows 3/3.1/3.11, some accounting apps and a few more! all of them were used via the RS232 Port's! At the time they were still on sale, they already were cracked.
    Than there was something called Copy Option Board, an internal Card (8 bit), mainly used for to run protected Games! And, and, and!

All of that "Solution" were useless at one day after their appearance! And so would be any of the future "Solution" within some period of time!:smile3:

14. rockyshaw

rockyshaw MDL Junior Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Microsoft has already solved a very big part of piracy by signing deals with OEM to preload MS OS in laptops and AIO desktop. Tablet and Mobile come with preloaded OS. The only segment which worries Microsoft is the custom desktop builders who are the enthusiastic users. If these users use Windows then they will promote it. The majority of custom desktop builders is corporations which will prefer to buy genuine products and those who do not are sued. Microsoft will keep developing their software to deter privacy but it will also need a change in hardware landscape which is maybe from 10 years from now.

15. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Thanks for the great feedback. I feel stupid for now suggesting a retail key approach. Besides, if that were to be the case, wouldn't it have been begun long ago, say with XP? And if it had, does that mean MDL may never have come to be? (Now I'm scaring myself).

And no, I am not a Microsoft (or any) employee.

But I am regretting my choice of user name, as Ming_the_Merciless is just a little too close to
    Bing_the_Merciless !

16. rk_bakshi

rk_bakshi MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Piracy of Windows OS, for what!

From Win8 onwards, M$ has released GVLKs for most of their Windows SKUs, so anyone can activate and use any version of Windows or even Office for free without any restriction.:biggrin:

17. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Without a license, that's still piracy.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    P i r a t e s ...
    070219_ballmer.jpg

19. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #39 sevenacids, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    I think there are some real smart people within Microsoft, the big question is: Are they motivated enough to spend a lot of time and money on developing a system that is almost perfect and unbreakable (if something like this is possible)? I guess not. I don't think piracy is really that big of a concern for Microsoft at the moment when it comes to Windows. On one hand, there are the enterprise customers, big companies that represent a large piece of the revenue cake and they are white sheep and just buy licenses, on the other hand there are the average consumers that usually get a Windows license every time they buy a new PC, which is kind of a guaranteed basic income for Microsoft. Therefore, I can imagine the group of people left that are most interested in pirated copies cannot be that big, compared to the huge user base of Windows.

Therefore, all they do - at least for the moment - is tweaking the existing SPP and forcing people who work on cracks to do a little work from time to time. I'm sure there would be ways to further reduce piracy, maybe not via the technological but the commerical route. Well, just think of a subscription-based Windows licensing model, which I don't think is that far off. The fact that Windows 8.1 already kind of forces you on using a Microsoft Account is a first step in this direction. As soon as such an account is mandatory and tied with license information, it will be very hard to circumvent it. A frankenbuild might solve it, but can also be easily detected and removed once you use Windows Update, for example.

How's that going to end? I'm curious...

20. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Seems they did the first step to an affordable system with that new ProfessionalStudent edition, which is introduced with Spring Update :g:.