Can my GPU be overclocked?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by PaulTroll1282, Sep 8, 2021.

1. PaulTroll1282

PaulTroll1282 MDL Junior Member

Oct 6, 2017
    My GPU is an ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DC (a single fan gpu, unlike the DirectCU II variant). I'm just wondering if this particular card can be overclocked and if so what stable settings do you recommend (in MSI Afterburner). Tnx.

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    don't bother, you won't gain much other than extra heat and noise (and you could potentially kill that 10+ years card that is now used to certain voltages due to wear of electrical components)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Any gpu can be overclocked but there is no magical setting that you can apply.
    You need to start by doing a benchmark using 3dmark or any game that you have so that you have a "baseline". Then, increase your core clock in steps of 20mhz until it crashes your game. Reduce 20mhz after the crash and it should be a good baseline.
    Do something similar with the memory. You can increase 100mhz at the time. Memory overclock usually doesn't cause crashes but it causes visual glitches that are really easy to spot.
    Run a benchmark again and compare the gains. A good overclock might give you an extra 10 to 20% fps
    Keep an eye on the temperatures. Anything below 80ºC is good. You can keep the fan speed at "auto" or create a custom curve with more aggressive cooling

4. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    I've actually done this with afterburner, but I can't seem to find a stable setting for it (games kept crashing), so I gave up and went to sleep (i'm not desperate to have it overclocked just curious at the time, thought it be a goodpractice). I might try again, thank you for the advice.

5. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017

6. PaulTroll1282

Oct 6, 2017
    You do have a fair point.

7. CorbyCarroll

CorbyCarroll MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2021
    Hi....that question doesn't have a reply. Each GPU, even indistinguishable models, will OC unique or perhaps not in the least. The silicon utilized is infinitesimally unique so resistances will likewise be unique.

Individuals generally start by OC'ing the Core and Memory Clocks. 25MHz knocks are moderate and generally protected to apply. Some go for 100MHz knocks. Testing out their OC'd card happens with Heaven, Firestroke, Furmark or perhaps an ordinary game. Since it's OC'd doesn't imply that the card will be steady at that OC.

They then, at that point, continue on to the Power Target in case voltages are suspected similar to the ball and change. They would then continue on from the Power Target to in a real sense changing the card's voltage. 10mV knocks are once in a while applied.

As they increment their clocks and voltages the GPU will for the most part get more smoking and more sweltering. Through MSI the client can change their fan bend to make up for the expanded hotness.