Can SLIC'd BIOS Be Used for Same BIOS, Different Board?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MisterPhoton, Sep 6, 2009.

1. MisterPhoton

MisterPhoton MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #1 MisterPhoton, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    Can SLIC'd BIOS...EDIT: How to Make BIOS Writeable?

Hi,

I have an Alienware m17x laptop (not the new one, but the previous version) and I've been trying to find either an already modded BIOS or a copy of the BIOS itself to submit for modding, and I can't seem to find either. I have, though, found already-modded copies of the same BIOS (AMI version 306) done by others and posted here.

My question is, would I be able to use one of these other BIOS copies of the same version on the board in my laptop (the board is an Asus F17 series notebook motherboard), or would that hose my laptop?

Thanks

Ok, that question has been answered, please see my reply below, need to figure out how to make my BIOS writeable!

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    If the bios was for the same board and has the same revision number, it would be fine. The bios update is not personalized for you...all alienware m17x laptops use the same bios update..if the bios update is the same as the asus f17 MB, it should work..

make a copy of your own bios..does not winflash offer this option???

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    For AMI BIOS you can run AFUWin (or AFUWinx64 on x64 OS) and click on the SAVE button to save a copy of your BIOS and then upload that for modding.

4. MisterPhoton

MisterPhoton MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2009
    #4 MisterPhoton, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
    (OP)
    Ok, thanks to the help of people here I was able to submit a request to the thread and get a working BIOS flash...at least, it would work if my BIOS wasn't write locked? I'm using AFUDOS and have my old and new BIOS ROMs on a flash drive and I'm booting to DOS and stuff, but when I go to flash my BIOS I get the following error:

- Bootblock checksum .... ok
    - Module checksums ...... ok
    - Error: Problem erasing flash000000 (0%)

Is there a way to force the BIOS to unlock without access to the motherboard, as I'm working on a laptop?

EDIT: I've checked the BIOS several times trying to find an "unlock BIOS for flashing" option, and it seems there just isn't one. Perhaps Alienware disabled this?

5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You may have to use the tool specific to the board or bios from Alienware. If this means winflash tool, then so be it..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...