Can some one help me

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by zerocool213, Dec 30, 2009.

1. zerocool213

zerocool213 MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Well where should i start my pc has gotten the Blue Screen of death occuring to a virus or a driver that has gotten installed which is corrupted. Now i have been reading on forums that we can repair the os without formating now the thing is i been doing this for a long time now fixing pcs and am not new at this but for some odd reason i dont understand how when you boot to the disk and you press enter then you press f8 then it says which version you have xp pro for example now on the top it should say repair and esc to continue blah and now on my screen it never says repair it only says enter to setup up and c to create your partion and d to delete so how can i do this can someone help :)
    ps. i have tried to repair the os with chkdsk /r/p/f and fixboot and nothing so if someone can help me out i would appreciate it

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Boot with a retail disk (OEM that contains winnt.sif will not give you the options required)
    Chose install Windows (option1), select same partition you have your install on, it will detect that you have Windows installed & it will ask you if to repair (and you say Yes)

sebus

3. zerocool213

Apr 17, 2009
    Hello

Yea i have tryed the fix boot and fix mbr nothing so am going to try the oem retail disk the only thing is i have to edit my steup.ini because it requires that certain key and i need that certain key to do it so yea

4. zerocool213

Apr 17, 2009
    sebus

Doesnt every windows disc have a winstf your not making any sense am sorry to be a bit rude but its true in order to have everything work correctly you would need a winstf file

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    No not every windows xp disk has winnt.sif only usually on OEM SLP manufacturers disks. or maybey if you have downloaded of the net a cd from a group i,e , all this months hotfixes and wga. For Noobs they download these every month. rather than learn correctly how to do OEM.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Not at all, only OEM disks need it (the part automated setup)
    Retail/VL media do not have it & you are asked for everything during setup

sebus