Can someone explain how this is supposed to be a "Start Menu"?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thorbsd, Apr 29, 2015.

1. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014

I just noticed it myself, but I if resize the menu down to 1 column and select "All Apps" it brings up a vertical slider on the right side of the column so that you can scroll through all the applications and run the program without taking your hand off your mouse.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ALIA5

ALIA5 MDL Novice

May 17, 2012
    Don't be delusional, 95% of computer screen time is taken up by the taskbar along with the start button, so the start menu in itself is not unimportant; it is VERY important. It was also a revolutionary idea that set Macintosh and Microsoft apart in terms of usability.

Now it's a clutter of a mess.

3. e1D

e1D MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2015
    I don't really need the start menu and didn't care that it was gone on Windows 8, but unless they make the search fast and responsive as it used to be and improve the all programs list I'm gonna have to use classic shell.

4. abise

abise MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    I was able to make the start menu in 8 my own easily enough. I unpin everything except desktop and IE, then pin all my own stuff and resize / group them. It's actually convenient one you've gotten rid off all of the metro junk.

I pin most frequent stuff on the taskbar, and any program I actually want to use on the start menu. You can even pin shortcuts to command scripts once you've copied them to \programdata\Microsoft\start menu.

I definitely like the 10 start better than 8 though, not too fond of being forced to use a full screen menu. I will likely use the 10 start in the same manner as I did in 8.

5. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    What was the original Windows 10 Start Menu called or used I should say?

6. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    don't think it really had a name
    but the windows versions that had both start menus had a registry switch to enable the new one "EnableXamlStartMenu"
    so the new one is like the metro start screen XAML based and therefore the "XAML start menu".
    which is why I call the old one, that was just normal win32 as far as i know, the "non-XAML start menu"

i really don't think that it would be a big deal for them to leave the non-XAML start menu in there as an alternative
    but in their eyes it will cost them because leaving an alternative will keep users from moving on to the new metro/universal apps crap
    on the other hand it might also keep companies and power users from switching to android or some other linux distribution and saying goodbye to windows

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The old one is not coming back, please remember that that the "new" Startmenu is written from scratch so the features it lacks are slowly creeping back in until it's back to feature parity with what was before, the bigger change here isn't even that it's XAML but that it's a Store App and will actually update over the Store infrastructure but i will assume that it will be "invisible" to the User, there won't be a "start menu update" appeard in the Store.

Even if the new one endups being a clone of the original one you will still have a bunch of retards install classic shell.

When Vista came out people changed the "new" Start Menu with the XP style........ just saying you will always have morons think the new thing is worse when it's not, the current XAML menu is a bit of a mixed bag because it's still lacking some stuff and the App list in particular is really bad.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

In many countries laws must pass the senate vote, just to avoid that the kids like you, who thinks blindly that newer is always better, screw up things.

Thats all, MS lacks an internal senate and keeps doing stupid things, trying to ape Apple and Google.

9. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
  10. popcorn90011

popcorn90011 MDL Senior Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Really I thought someone was whipping a dead horse. The start menu is only getting better and MS has no intentions whatsoever in changing it and like I said to complain is whipping a dead horse and so old it's not even funny.

11. mobtus

mobtus MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    I recently had to upgrade my main rig to windows 8.1 and when I installed classic shell I was surprised at how much customization you could do with their start menu. It was like the windows 7 start menu but better. I really wish ms would include customization like that..

12. popcorn90011

Aug 21, 2013
    My problem with this kind of mod is that it changes the shell, and in windows 8, 10 whatever you got most app's are tightly woven into the shell. So messing with the shell will only cause you problems, maybe not right away but eventually it will to the point you will be reinstalling. But to each there own and good luck. I just don't get why people complain about something that they really have no power over and any changes they make will eventually cause problems then they come here and complain some more lol.

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #75 T-S, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Arch is surely one of the better linux distro out there (although the systemd cancer hit it, and destroyed part of its KISS philosophy)

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #76 T-S, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015

Classic shell doesn't "change" anything.

You can use its menu AND the stock one w/o a single problem

You can bind CS to the button and the stock SM to the windows key, or middle mouse button.

You can pin the classic shell "Start" link to the taskbar or the good old quicklaunch (which is still there in win 10) and so on.

In short classic shell is a program, like any other, that does well its work, and does it not just better than win10's start menu, but also better than ones from win vista,7, 8, and 8.1.

15. popcorn90011

Aug 21, 2013
    I don't need to prove anything! I have been banned over and over again since 2006 or so lol. People that know me know where I am coming from and I don't need some noob telling me about how it's his right to complain and that I should provide freebies. Good luck noob as you won't get help complaining about something you can't comprehend or appreciate.

16. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    systemd will be in all linux versions i am afraid off, only a few without it. Anyway with or without it, it has less crap installed then windows. Systemupdates are small and not as huge as windows

17. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    LOL! Yup I all but switched over to Mac OSX, I am just waiting to graduate college and for a Macbook Pro (Retina) with 2TB SSD.