Can someone explain how this is supposed to be a "Start Menu"?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by thorbsd, Apr 29, 2015.

1. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    The good old Win32 startmenu is still present on Win Server TP2 :)
    Untitled.jpg

2. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Don't worry thy are used to kill the best features just right before the RTM.

Think to the Win 8 build 8400 Aero enabled GUI, think to the Win 7 guest mode, removed before the final release...

3. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Yep :/ This is why the beta versions of Windows are always the best versions.

Vista= Build 4007 - 7= Build 6801 8= Build 8102 & 8400.

4. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    these people just eat what ms, apple or google put on the table
    they are not able to defend their point of view, probably don't have one
    if windows 10 and the new start menu are so good why can't they give us reasons and show us exactly where it has improved?
    don't these guys have debate clubs in school anymore?
    is the development of social competence not a desired goal anymore?

we're not just trash-talking the new windows
    we have reasons why we are complaining
    and we are trying to show our concerns and hope that somebody hears them
    so something will change

5. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    is that build 10074?
    good news i guess
    did you enable it somehow or is it the default start menu

how about the old control panel? still there?

6. mobtus

mobtus MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2014
    I think on paper the start menu looks good. But it practice there are a lot of issues that hamper it, like sometimes (especially after logging in) the start menu and other XAML parts of explorer take a while to start working. So you're left with a short delay between logging in and actually getting to use your computer, which I think is a HUGE problem and it's an immediate turn off for people reluctant to try w10. I think this issue will be fixed.

What I like about the start menu is that you can pin a lot of stuff to the tile section and be able to have a ton of shortcuts in a small amount of space. It's kinda like pinning to taskbar but instead it's in the start menu. I think if MS gets rid of the technical problems then more people will like the start menu.

7. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Yes, the old start menu is still there on server 10074. It's the same build as Windows 10 Pro 10074.
    I already tried to port the server explorer.exe to windows 10 10074 but it didn't help.
    The old control panel is the same as on Win10 Pro

8. BigJon

BigJon MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Your mature and sensible attitude isnt really internet friendly. I'm a sys admin in a large company, and offered my observations to MS, in a professional manner - resulting in having my (ms forums) accounts removed. Even though others at MS agreed it was wrong they couldnt reinstate the accounts.
    (in true geek style, i spent a few hours and multiple scripts populating the internet with detailed explanations of why 10 is such a disaster)

It seems MS, like others before them Apple, Adobe, et al., have been taken over by the fanbois

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    aero explains your suffering. I started drinking after Vista, haven't stopped since!

10. MDDave

MDDave MDL Novice

May 3, 2015
    Can they do nothing right? That start menu is fugly... I'm still not done with 7. These people are artards.

11. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I don't care much for the start menu seen in current builds. I prefer classic shell with the metro skin at the moment- it offers jump lists, customization, looks native, and keeps my start menu searches offline and that last one is the biggest thing in its favour. Cortana doesn't work with local accounts anyway so I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not using the built in start menu. Of course it could all change in a few builds or even after release but I'm not holding my breath.

12. coromonadalix

coromonadalix MDL Senior Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I hope start 8 (start 10 ??) will be available for the win10 rtm, tried the win10 tech previews ... bah ... M$oft tried to push us their vision of an OS, trying Zorin OS to see what it's worth.

I whant a fast lean mean machine, not a crap load of useless things.

13. sXpTv

sXpTv MDL Member

Jul 14, 2014
    I might use StartIsBack if Microsoft isn't going to improve the startmenu.

14. dummekuehe

Jan 11, 2009
    if the whole cortana stuff isn't going to work on local accounts
    then maybe they will leave the non-XAML start menu for local account in
    like on server version

15. FunkyMike

FunkyMike MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Not to diverge from the topic but wow .... more details please?!?!