Can someone shed some light on upgrade licenses for me?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zulithe, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Zulithe

Zulithe MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2009
    Greetings.

Now that Technet and MSDN subscribers have access to legit keys, I want to pose a question and see if anyone can help me out.

I purchased an upgrade license (can't believe I have to wait till October 22nd, argh) for Windows 7 When the 50% off promotion was going on. Basically what I want to know is this:

Can I do a clean install of Windows 7 *now*, and just rearm until I get my upgrade license on Oct 22nd, then input my key, and be legit? I can't find any reliable information on rather I can do this or not.

I do have a valid Windows Vista key and a Vista DVD. But I don't know if the upgrade license will ask me to present one or both of these, or neither.

I assume the keys going out today are full license keys, but if anyone can shed some light on this, It would help me out!

2. Klownicle

Klownicle MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I've done the same thing, thinking about doing a technet instead.

Heres what I can gather, the key you have is for a upgrade. My guess is you won't be able to put it in except inside the installer that is started from withen windows. That is how the workaround works. You install Windows 7 Upgrade without a key, then start the windows 7 Upgrade from withen windows 7, then you proceed to wipe the drive before you install windows 7 in the installer and provide your key. Or so thats what I read.

Id be curious if this is possible also, weather or not I can just put my key into the install. OEM RTL?