can t boot from cdrom to install windows 8 for a dual boot with w 7.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mamed, Nov 1, 2012.

1. don240

don240 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Apologies, I did say set your partition as active, & it shouldn't be, but you should still be able to boot onto the partition that has an OS installed & you should be able to boot from CD or DVD, it may seem an obvious question, but have you done a hard shutdown (press & hold the power button in, until the system goes dead)?

2. Padpadak

Padpadak MDL Member

Feb 11, 2010
    #22 Padpadak, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
    I had the same problem with dual boot, first win 7 and installed Win 8.
    I work with easy BCD and also can boot from the both systems,went In windows 8> poweroptions in power control and changed the how to act powerbutton settings to shutdown (instead of sleep)
    After that I noticed that i also couldn.t boot anymore from Cd-rom drive.

Went In windows 8 by power settings and untick the options below (Quick start ect..)
    After that could boot from The cd-rom again.

I don't know if it helps you in this case, because I had no mess with missing BOOTMGR.

Is it not an option to grab somwhere "Gparted",put it on a disk, try to boot with the gparted cd >delete the partition with Windows 8(only the partion with windows7 left),boot with the windows 7 dvd and recover the boot.
    And see if you can come in jour windows 7.
    After that you can re-instal windows 8 again.

3. Titalas

Titalas MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    I think you should repair windows 7 first, then install windows 8. This issue can fixed.

4. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
  5. adit123tya

adit123tya MDL Senior Member

Oct 25, 2012
    Is C:\ missing in disk management as well... and if it is missing how come it shows windows installed on it

6. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    No idea!
    It seems that E: is the main volume with the boot files.How can I reverse all the mess to get C:?

7. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Works fine it was the keyboard which worked when it came to the bios but for the rest ,it was dead.:)

8. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    try opening disk management by right clicking on computer and then selecting disk management... and see the status there... like how may partitions u have and what are they labeled... it should look some what like this disk.jpg

9. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Hi ,this is how it looks. Volumes..JPG
    As to iinstalling W8 in unallocated space,the W8 ISO is an uprgrade and I have no possiblity to assign W8 to the free volume.

10. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    can you get into windows now ? if yes ,download an iso from The-Official-Windows-8-Repository thread and extract the install.wim file from source to a folder of your choice

now format the 67.71 Gb partition

then use gimagex to apply the install.wim to the 67.71 Gb partition

then download EasyBCD and install it

then add the windows 8 entry to the 67.71 gb

save settings,and reboot to check if you are able to log into windows 8, you wont get the GUI BOOT but still you can log into the windows8 partition

if you are not able to get into windows in the first place

then use the win 7 recovery disk and in the CMD window type

bootrec.exe/fixboot
    bootrec.exe/fixmbr

still no luck

type

bootrec.exe/RebuildBcd

get back with your findings

NOTE : you will have install.esd insted of the install.wim if you download with windows 8 upgrade advisor

11. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    The image shows that u have C: partition and windows is installed on it and it seems that u have messed up badly since F: partition is system reserved ususally having no letter allotted... and marked as active... but it seems the boot sector has some how sifted to C:... so u delete F: from above disk management... should not effect... after it is done check system properties if it shoes E: drive and report back

12. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    Buddy if u are trying to install windows 8 that way then it is not going to work... Seup doesnot just apply install.wim on the partition but does many other processes... one more thing never use bootrec.exe in Win PE it never helps... I had used above to in Win PE once when booting through usb drive and messed up with boot sector of usb drive itself...:D

13. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    I just did that for 12+ system last night,basically the process you are telling will happen once you get into win 8 with OOBE screen,so if you have time and want to expremient it just try it. and bootrec dosent fail if done in the correct manner.

14. demisia

demisia MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2012
    thanks for those informations !

15. pii

pii MDL Junior Member

Nov 3, 2012
    That doesn't mean you messed up bad or even at all. Just remove the drive letter DO NOT DELETE F: (just remove the letter) its the system reserve and is needed. As for installing win 8 now on the empty partition all you have to do is boot from the dvd to get the custom install option, yes even on the upgrade win8 you can do clean install to a different partition.

You can do all the formatting in the installation by selecting "drive options" but you don't even have to do anything other than make the partition, windows will format it if it has to or you can, makes no difference.

I would slide the C:\ partition over but again its not nessasary I'd just do it to make it look better :)

Man some of you people really like to do things the hard way. :) All this guy needed originally was to plug in a different keyboard and it probably would have fixed his problem from the get go.

16. adit123tya

Oct 25, 2012
    see the image clearly... F: is system reserved true... but not marked as active... instead C: is marked for everything which means now F: is of actually no use...

17. mamed

mamed MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2010
    Thanks to all of you guys.At last I managed to install windows 8 in partition just by using an Usb instead of the dvd I burned.Weird isnĀ“t it?
    Anyway,got Windows 7 along with W8 and this is another story;Windows 8 is slow.
    o_O