Can Technet keys be used after subscriptions expired?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ntduyphuong, Feb 27, 2010.

1. ntduyphuong

ntduyphuong MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi all :D. I just have a small question:
    Can Technet keys be used after subscriptions expired?
    I mean that, those keys have not been used. While my subscriptions is still active, I get all the keys I can and save them into a text file (just save, not use). If my subscriptions expire, can I use those keys to activate new installations of Microsoft products (Windows, Office...)?

Sorry if it's difficult for you to understand. I'm not so good at English :biggrin:

Thanks in advance.

2. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    the keys do not expire

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    They never expire
    They can be activated only 10 times however they can be activated on 1 computer 10 times or on 10 computers all at once, it is 10 distinct activations that count towards the total
    you get 20 keys for each version (kind of) in that you get 10 for ultimate and another 10 for ultimate N (total 20 keys, the n version is missing media player I believe but you can install it) this is true for Ultimate, Profesesional, premium, basic and starter (starter keys are OEM).

You also get a mak key for enterprise with 500 activations, you get more keys than you will ever use but don't be tempted to share or sell, use discretion, you don't want to ruin a good thing. I am using my technet office 2010 beta and love it (no, I won't share my key).

Absolutely the best 270+ dollars I have spent that wasn't on booze or sex.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Ohh, if you install a key on a computer you can back up your activation by making an image or using token restore. This avoids reactivation onthe same machine. But again, it is more keys than most of us can use. These are ostensibly evaluation keys that don't expire and since I am always in beta test mode I am pretty much always evaluating something. I have a server set up to evaluate the hell out of server R2 right now, more than I will ever need but I am learning a few things evaluating it.

5. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Wow!! the no. of keys they give out is insane:D:D
    So, instead of spending $300 on retail Ultimate, why doesnt everybody just get a technet subscription?

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    The one thing that will shut a program like this down is abuse/selling keys on ebay/ etc. But yes, for those of us who run 5 or 10 computers, always screwing things up (for educational purposes) then yeah, technet is an excellent deal. I wish they offered a toned down family pack of windows and office for those who don't want server/ vista/ xp/ windows 3.11. I thought it odd that they don't have windows 9X on there but hell, there are so many copies of that around anyway.

I am pretty stingy with my keys, because I don't want to be one of the people who causes a program like this to get locked down.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Same request, please PM me..........

8. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    That loophole has been closed

BTW once your online activations run out for a key you can still activate by phone (unlimited)

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Is technet really unlimited phone activations? MSDN are only 25 Phone activations!

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Don't know, if I ever manage to use more than my 700+ online activations I will try the phone