Can this Device icon be changed in Win 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by triggat, Dec 16, 2009.

1. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  2. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    Just did this today thank for the link to the tool:worthy::worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nijel

nijel MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Any way to create custom metadata for virtual devices like pdf printers and such? They don't have any HardwareID and ModelID so DMRC cannot sellect custom package:
    I have created custom metadata for all my devices except for these ones.
    I have been digging through registry and can't figure out how to make this working for virtual printers. How to get them identified by DMRC.:confused:

4. Jason404

Jason404 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2009
    Does this work on Windows 8?

I tried using it, but I get an error dialogue when I try launching it from Devices and Printers. Also, none of the details are already filled in and I don't think what I am putting in is correct, as the icons do not change.

I haven't got a Windows 7 machine handy to see if it works any differently on that.

5. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hate to bump an old thread, but it's soooo relevant.

I have used the MS Metadata tool to change all the icons in my "Devices and Printers" except one that will NOT change. No matter what I try on my "PRimoPDF printer, the icon always stays the same. I think one problem is, there is no hardwareID or modeID and the tool requires at least one of each. I tried using the HardwareID of my Epson printer and all that did was whack the Epson. Had to redo it with the tool, even after removing and reinstalling the Epson software. Went to the metadata storage location and the new icon I had assigned to the PrimoPDF printer is there, it just won't "take" I looked for the hardware/model ID for a generic printer and couldn't find anything...

Oh, and no matter what GUID I put in the modelID, the "OK" nutton always remains grayed out like it's an invalid format or something.

Russ

6. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Ended up with a workaround. Added a new printer, "MS Publisher Color Printer" and assigned the port to PrimoPDF. This got me another PrimPDF printer - PrimoPDF copy (1). Was able to change the icon on this copy, did a function check and all worked like the original. Then deleted the original and renamed the copy.

BTW, the freeware "IcoFX" is awesome for making truecolor icons from any image. For my phone, I took a pic of the actual phone, erased the excess, and made an icon from it. the other images I got off Google Image and made icons from them...

Russ

D & P.jpg