can WOW make a laptop dead?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bibia, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If it were a real killer laptop then i would perhaps consider replacing the mainboard.

Otherwise i would just harvest the usable parts for spare parts, sell the rest, and say good bye...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    nnaah.. it's not that "killer"..
    just a decent laptop..

like u said, i'd harvest the hdd, ram, n maybe the wifi card..

btw, is it possible if i'm using the optical drive to a netbook? i mean, is there any cable or case, so i can connect my optical drive (from my dead laptop), as external optical drive on my new netbook later..?? like the hdd, there is a case, so it'd be an external storage.. i mean something like that..

3. Styrre

Styrre MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    I'm sorry, read your message and wrote mine in a hurry so I missed that.

4. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    so any other idea? :)

5. bencasina

bencasina MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2009
    it sounds more likely to be your power supply unit as failed. i had the same symptoms some time ago with my laptop.

6. nathan_s

nathan_s MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2009
    Agreed, it sure is hardware related, unless WoW damaged your BIOS and that's something I really really doubt. However if a lot of downloading has been done previously it leads to another question - could you by any chance get something this dreadful off the internet? There should be at least a few worms capable of doing this.

7. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    @nathan
    well, i'm not sure.. i only downloaded movies.. n i was using nod32 smart security 4.0.467.

i think, maybe it is the vga-related, like the seller's said..

still trying to save my money to buy a new netbook.. :(
    i don't wanna gamble on a new motherboard, since there're many cases out there (same aspire 4520) dead.

8. arrows

arrows MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009

First, plug in a external monitor to confirm the condition of the machine.

if the display on the external monitor is fine in that case it is an issue with the LCD, LCD screen inverter board, as you get a video output on external monitor

1: LCD Failure
    2: LCD Backlight or Inverter Failure
    3: LCD VGA cable Failure

NO display on the external monitor.

1: Motherboard Failure
    2: VGA Board (chip) Failure

By the way,.. (downloading many movies with it for hours (more than 24 hours) :confused: if you want to use your lappy as a Desktop replacement :) Buy a laptop that is listed to replace a Desktop PC
    Something as a Toshiba X305 or X505

Desktop replacements laptops = cool = very expensive = easily outdated.

if you buy a new lappy ( a netbook ) and use it as a desktop replacement again, go ahead and you will ran into the same problem
    within one year !!

Netbooks are only really good for the net :) (which doesn't sound like your main use)

cheers M8

9. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    thx for ur feedback..

firstable, i tried connect it to a desktop monitor. n still black screen.
    so i assume, something wrong with it's bios or motherboard.

and about netbook..
    i need it just for browsing and typing..
    though, i admit, sometime i will download something big again.. :D
    but i won't push it again like i did (over hours)..

i only can afford a netbook.

and ironically, i have 8 desktop in my internet cafe, but i can't leave it downloading at night while i'm sleeping at my house. i'm afraid of thunder, fire, and something like that happen while i'm away.. and, those pc's have to "cool down" coz my internet cafe runs for 16 hours here.. and i'm using amd athlon x2 with abit a-s78h (not quite tough as a pc), with deepfreeze in it (so i can't resume my download anytime i want).

anyway, thx for ur advice..

can u provide me a good netbook worth to buy?
    i'm interesting with lenovo ideapad s10-2.
    what do u think about it?

thx..:)