Can you mod a NON OEM Bios to slic v2.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jopplehead, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Jopplehead

Jopplehead MDL Junior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Is it possible to take a PC you built from scratch that has NO oem and mod the BIOS to have a manufacture and add slic v2.1? I have an old Asus A8V-MX board with AMIBIOS I was thinking about trying. ANY help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Yep, a very large portion of the mods have been for build-your-own types of boards.

Asus P5B-E and ECS P45T-A here, for example. I used the tools in the "do your own" thread for the ECS board but I haven't had the courage to see if it actually worked yet.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    There is a AMI BIOS Modding tool just help yourself.

4. sloozer

sloozer MDL Member

Apr 25, 2007
    #4 sloozer, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks guys. I looked at the modding tool but it was a little un clear if they are say select the manufacture as the OEM type that already exists in the BIOS or I guess from what you said ... the tutorial is actually telling you to select what manufacture you want to MAKE the OEM bios NOT which one already exists in the BIOS.

6. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    In the tool you select the board manufacturer and then select which SLIC you want to add (it doesn't need to be the same as the board manufacturer, e.g. you can have ASUS board, but HP SLIC etc.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    Thanks SOOOO much! I will give it a shot. :)

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    99.9% of the boards we put slics in are non-oem..You just need the right combination of no-how, tools, and stones...not necessarily in that order..:D:D:cool:

9. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    OK, I modded the BIOS using method ssv2 and HP slic & HP Vista Cert. Question... Does it matter that the cert is Vista to activate Win 7? Second Question... I have a 1b.bin and a 1b_Slic.bin... Are these only files that helped create the .rom file or are they needed for something else. I only had a .rom file for my bios? Also will ssv2 work for my Bios?? TIA!!

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    why ssv2? I think SSv3 is best for you....The only leftover you need is the _slic bios file, the 1b are for reference.

I Would use SSv3 mod, didnt it default to that??

11. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    Yes it did deafult to ssv3. WOW.... I screwed up and mis read the post I thought it said use ssv2 for asus and it said use ssv3. THANKS! I will re-do the bios. Do I need to re download the bios file original or does the tool NOT modify the original?

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The original is not modified. Just delete the 1b files and the *_slic.rom..

13. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    OK Done & I take it you meant *_slic.bin Not *_slic.rom. And I am VERY VERY greatful for your help! I will get the dos based tool from Asus and try to flash it. I am gonna hope for the best! I guess I am a gambler...

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Not as much as much as you might think. The tool says it is ok, the chances are very high the bios will flash ok and activate your OS..

15. Jopplehead

Jul 30, 2009
    YOU ARE CORRECT! It worked. I just rebooted in windows and am now typing to you on the modded machine. I verified with rw everything that the slic table IS in there! THANKS! :D

16. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes, it does happen from time to time...:cool:

Congrats on your new bios.....:D:p

17. apex2000

apex2000 MDL Senior Member

May 6, 2007
    I modded my ASUS P5Q-EM using the instructions supplied. It took about 1 minute! Then, being as reckless as I am, I flashed my m/b, which is almost new, and it worked perfectly ;-)

Must admit, I was apprehensive at first, but it worked like a dream.

Anyone want the modded BIOS file - let me know.

18. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Upload a link to the all slics thread in the stickies.