can you or how to make an oem SLP 1 disc with the upgrade feature??

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by pbgbottle, Mar 31, 2009.

1. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    just curious or looking for someone to point me in the right direction i have been useing VOL media for awhile now. with a valid VLK key which i still have and that will not be blacklisted. but i am not comfortable using it and have recently updated my bios to contain the SLP1 info but i do not always want to do a fresh install after my kids have messed up the machine. is there anyway to build a OEM SLP1 disc that will act like the VOL XP media or retail media giving me the upgrade option . or will the Dell OEM detect my previously installed xp OS and offer to repair it ?? or is the only option to do a fresh install everytime. as for the VLK stuff does Microsoft monitor usage of such keys and report back to owners of such keys. etc.

cheers any info is greatly appreciated. i may just have to stick with the VOL xp media. but i would rather not.

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    I have not tried this myself, but I think doing a "repair" install of the OEM XP over the VLK should change the licensing.....but even MS recommends a clean installation.

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #3 911medic, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pbgbottle

pbgbottle MDL Member

Mar 7, 2008
    thanks for the info i modded the VOL media .and it didn't give me an option to repair.must of done something wrong.i tried that utility at the bottom of the other thread. not sure how to use it but it did change my system to oem and used the generic key i have not rebooted yet but it still says sytem is activated