Can you run Windows 11 on your old system?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by pisthai, Jul 3, 2021.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Sorry, I don't have a clue. If you changed the storage devices that means it's not related to OS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Maybe:

Start Menu, select Update and Security.
    Move to ‘Recovery’ from the left menu.
    Click on 'Restart' under the Advanced Startup. This reboots your computer to a special menu
    Choose to Troubleshoot.
    Move to the Advanced Options.
    Select UEFI Firmware settings and finally click on Restart.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @ceo54:
    I think the problem is directly BIOS-related! As of the installation of Windows 11 on the extra Partition on the same SSD as Windows 10 Pro 21H1 are already installed and running, for Windows 11 Pro the setup created in the Windows Boot Manager the name Windows 10 for the Windows 11 Pro installation. I, therefore, used the following command: bcdedit /set {current} description "Windows 11" from within running Windows 11 on CMD (as Admin). That worked fine and after the restart, the Windows Boot Manager showed the correct names for those two entries. Not any other special system changes were done.

After some hours of adjusting Windows 11 and install the same apps as in Windows 10, I tried to boot from a bootable USB-HDD and could not. Then tried to open the BIOS with the normal F2 key, not possible, the laptop jumped directly to the Windows Boot Manager! Also, the DEL key didn't work to access the BIOS! I finally found out, after many tries, how to boot from a bootable USB device in an unusable way! The normal key to boot from USB is the F12 key at the Laptop. To boot from USB, I need to start the Laptop and as the Windows Boot Manager appears, I need to hold down the ECS key until the screen is black, then press also the F12 key and release the F2 key after that, then wait for to boot to the USB and release the F12 key too! In that way, I could now boot from a USB. I haven't checked with a DVD yet, with the DVD Caddy and inserted HDD, that did not work. So, only from USB, it's possible to boot that unusable way!

@colinzim:
    This laptop did not have UEFI and/or Secure Boot! The command you wrote didn't work. Sorry, just thanks for your effort to help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What's the reason I created this topic?

It's really easy, I like to just show what is working for me on my own system and machines! That info may give others the possibility to come around similar or even the same problems I had and may solve already!

On another forum than MDL, where I'm a Global Moderator, my Nickname is Mister Imperfect! And that's what I'm really: Imperfect! And I like to be just like that, not to claim to know everything better! I'm in the middle of the Seventy and still being learning!

If I talk about something I've done, I just talk about my own experiences, about things with were working for me on my own property, whatsoever the was! Not talking to others that those what they have done isn't good, or didn't work, should be not be done like this and so on! and I would never claim to no what others have done on their system, etc as this is done already many times by one Member, and some other members of this forum too!

I would also not tell that the posts of others are lame, as it was just done by one member of this forum!

Objectivity is that what I'm like! Not the opposite! I've nothing against any friendly conservation and/or discussion and would always help if I could, but attack, accuse, etc others and show I know something or even everything better!!

5. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Because you have a lot of benchmarks done, I'm interested in seeing how would Windows 7 perform on that laptop. I'm guessing it would perform better than Win10 and 11 while still be compatible with everything you do.
    Let's not forget that Windows is just an operating system. It just needs to be able to run your apps with minimal effort, be compatible with your current devices, have low overhead and be secure. The latest is not always the greatest and your example is perfect.

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Howdy partner.

I put Windows 11 on my 2012 Acer Aspire ONE 722-C6Cbb: [AO722 Acer JE10-BZ]

Model NO: P1VE6
    AMD C-60 APU (Ontario)
    1 GHZ (Boost Max 1.333 GHz or 1.36 GHz with BIOS mod)

HD 6290 (Wrestler)

120GB SSD - Boosted to 8GB RAM

It has the latest BIOS V1.11 (09/25/2012) [there is also a BIOS mod which I havent dared to try yet)

Except for youtube, which is quite laggy in the 1st minute, its, of course, a bit slow. But a great typewrite and email machine.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #67 pisthai, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    (OP)
  8. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Nice one, but what do you mean by 256MB "unlocked" ?

I cant imagine the Netbook only using 8 MB of the VRAM...afaik it was always set to 256 in BIOS and still is. (?)

Wrestler2.jpg

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @itsmemario1:
    In the original BIOS, the Video RAM of this Laptop was fixed to 8MB, not changeable. Now I have 256MB fixed, unchangeable! I had pictures from that, but those are gone quite some time already.

The other main change with the BIOS mod was to get the Advanced and Power Menus visible and useable.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #70 Enthousiast, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I already installed Windows 11 on a Netbook Acer Aspire One 722, with AMD C60 CPU (2 x 1GHz (turbo 1366GHz) and 8GB RAM, which works fine, just slower than Windows 10 Pro 21H1, which I upgraded to Windows 11 Pro! The HDD using its a Samsung 750 SSD with 250GB, 4 years old. The AO722 is from 2012/02/09 nearly 9 years old.

I'll wait for October 5. and see what happens at that data and thereafter! The same applies to the Laptop Acer Aspire 4752G, which also runs with Windows 11 Pro, in Dual Mode with Windows 10 Pro 21H1. Both of these machines are not supported to run Windows 11 at all!

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #72 pisthai, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    (OP)
  13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Overall, I'll be awaiting the release of Windows 11, after that, I'll decide what way I'll go! At this time, I'll not buy new hardware, what I have still worked fine and also fast with Windows 10 Pro 21H1.

Regarding those Netbook Acer Aspire 722, I plan to finally install Zorin Os 16 Pro, which will work much faster than even Windows 10 Pro!

A new Laptop will be bought the next year. The problem with buying new Computer Hardware is simply Tax-related because all of that staff is owned by my company. We have a bit of strange Tax Law in Thailand and I've to follow the Rules!

And just because just of a new OS, that's not necessary to replace well-working hardware before they're freed by the countries Tax Law! And that also applies to myself, I really did not see any need to change what I still use with no problems daily in my company and for myself!

15. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I went for Elementary OS 5.1 about 2 months ago.

I tried Puppy Linux.

Yes, its all "nice" and stuff, its faster compared to windows, but somehow I went for Windows 11 on this old Netbook now. @_@

Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 also were faster on this device. Times have changed... ;)

16. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #76 itsmemario1, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Windows 11 (22000.51 fixed) running on a 2008 Intel Mainboard.

-Intel Atom 330 CPU (1.6GHz)
    -2GB of DDR2-RAM
    -Intel GMA 950 integrated graphics - 82945G Express Chipset (WDDM 1.0) official working driver

Installed Windows 11 on some SSD, just to plug it into some old systems I got today.

It booted normally, but slow, on this Intel PC-Mainboard (D945GCLF2) from 2008.

Copying stuff from USB is embarassing slow, but everything windows-related works...but slow.

Even youtube can be watched close to normally.

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @itsmemario1:

If you're interested to know the actual speed of the drives you're using, just use Winsat!

For Read and Write speeds of the attached drives (internal and/or external), open PowerShell as Administrator, go to \Windows\system32> and run the command:
    \Windows\system32> winsat disk -ran -read (or write) -drive c or any other drive letter of an existing drive and you'll get the Read/Write Speed of the drive you like to test!

This is a very easy test and did not need any extra apps! And just for fun, if you test your USB Flash Drives/Sticks, you may not use them anymore!!

Have fun!

18. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #78 itsmemario1, Sep 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Installed with "Fix Option 2" on a early 2007 Compaq 6710b Laptop. (Core2Duo T7250) with 2GB RAM on an old 5400 RPM HDD.

It even offers a "TPM Option" in BIOS.

It runs...ok. Not tested with youtube or gaming. But you can use Word. :p

19. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    At least that's something. :rolleyes:

20. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009