Cannot access Dell/Realtek Sound Manager

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Feb 22, 2012.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009

Yes, both boxes are checked. I've attached two screenshots.

C.B.

Attached Files:

2. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #22 im bored, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    Lets brain storm here for a second:
    Your getting sound: so its not the drivers nor is it the hardware
    You cant access the Realtek App which points to software issue.

Maybe we can try this
    Uninstall Realtek
    Go to Device Manager and manually delete your audio drivers
    Download CCleaner and Clean your junk files and your registry
    Also go to you Program Files and if a Realtek folder still exists delete it manually
    reboot
    Download Realtek software from dell's website and reinstall

I know Dell this something similar but one difference is that ccleaner should delete all the left overs from the registry.

3. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #23 C.B., Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
    (OP)
    I've already done that, im bored and it did not solve the problem. I have to go buy some books to read. I'll continue as soon as I return. However, I went to my Studio XPS 7100 Desktop and noticed that although both my desktop and laptop have the Realtek HDA the drivers are different and the Realtek folder in Program Files on the laptop contains many more files than the one on the desktop. I think the Realtek HDA on the laptop is customized by Dell and the one on the desktop is not. I'll take screenshots of both folders on both computers and also of the drivers. I may decide to try the Studio XPS Realtek driver on my XPS-17 laptop just to see what happens. Of course, I'll create a Restore Point first. I may once again uninstall Realtek from my laptop, once again clean all the files with CCleaner and install the Studio XPS Realtek driver on the XPS-17 or I may just try leaving the laptop as is and install the additional Realtek driver from the desktop to see what happens with both drivers installed; Armageddon, probably.

C.B.

4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #24 C.B., Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    (OP)
    I was finally able to open the Sound Manager, which is titled "Dell Audio By Realtek" and get a screenshot. I have attached it to this post. As you can see, I get nothing but a blank window with no access to any settings. I decided against trying the Studio XPS-7100 Realtek driver on my XPS-17 L702X laptop. I had forgotten that the Sound Manager on the laptop also includes the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB, which is probably why the Realtek Folder on the laptop contains much more than the one on the desktop and different drivers are used. I've attached screenshots of both.

I once again thank you, acrsn and wade7575 for your time and assistance. I appreciate it very much. I suppose I'll just have to live with not being able to access the Sound Manager or control the various aspects of my audio output.

C.B.

Attached Files:

5. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Any ideas, anyone?

6. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #26 C.B., Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    (OP)
    Hey, acrsn. Actually, during the four reinstalls I did I loaded the drivers for the chipset and nic, then the Realtek driver, before loading any other drivers or software for the specific purpose of eliminating such a conflict. The Realtek audio manager has never properly opened for me. I've never seen just exactly what it looks like or which settings I can manage. I've run sfc /scannow on many occasions and everything checked out OK. I've also tried to eliminate conflicts by using msconfig, to no avail, which didn't surprise me. I think my problem has something to do with Dell's customization of the Realtek HDA software on my laptop since I have no problems with the Realtek HDA software on my desktop. It could also have something to do with the Sound Blaster X-Fi included in the audio manager. I really don't know.

I have tried to open the application from Control Panel, the icon on the taskbar when it doesn't disappear before I can click on it and from the Realtek folder in Program Files. I also went to Realtek in Program Files and created a shortcut on the Desktop, which did not help in any way. The only thing that happens is the Realtek icon displays on the taskbar. It actually took me about three hourse yesterday before the Realtek audio manager (blank screen) would actually display.

I'm currently checking out Dell's driver download page to see if there are updated drivers or possibly a driver relating to this application that hasn't been installed. I, like you, am almost certain the problem has nothing to do with the OS. If I am not successful in finding anything in Dell's driver store I'll try running it in compatibility mode. The Realtek HDA software on my desktop doesn't need to run in compatibility mode but that doesn't mean the same applies with the laptop. Both computers are running Win 7 Ultimate x64.

C.B.

7. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Well, there are no new or revised drivers to install. I tried compatibility mode for Vista SP2 and Win 7, to no avail. As per our earlier discussion, there are no software compatibility issues involved since the application never worked from day one and during the four reinstalls the Realtek software was installed immediately after the chipset and nic drivers were installed (when doing the reformat and custom, clean install from the installation DVD, which contains no third party software, third party drivers or Dell utilities).

This laptop has been a disaster since the day I received it. The motherboard, sound card, fan, USB 2.0 ports have been replaced. The power adapter plug receptacle in the laptop has been replaced three times. I've never been able to access the sound manager. I have purchased six Dell computers in the past nine years, all of them currently in operation in one location or another. I'm not dissatisfied with Dell by any means. Dell has always quickly and efficiently fixed any problems I've had with the other computers; however, Dell, after four attempts, is incapable of fixing the problem I'm experiencing now. I'm going to ask that the laptop be replaced with a new one of the same configuration. Needless to say, I don't expect Dell to do so.

Thanks again for your time and assistance, acrsn. I really appreciate it.

C.B.

8. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Well, a Dell technical support agent spent appx. ninety minutes yesterday trying to get my Dell/Realtek Audio Manager to display, to no avail. This was Dell's fourth attempt. Getting the Realtek HDA Audio Manager to install and work properly is no problem. The problem is that I have the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB HDA on my laptop and it is incorporated within the Audio Manager, probably due to customization by Dell. It is this Audio Manager that has never worked from the day I received the laptop from Dell. Again, drivers downloaded from Dell's and Realtek's websites do not solve the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

9. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    The problem has been solved. Dell provided a new OS hard drive and everything is working properly. I thank everyone for your assistance. I appreciate it very much.

C. B.