Cannot connect to Network share when 4 digit PIN is enabled at Login.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gnugeek, Jun 24, 2015.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @MS_User, Its not a Router problem.

W10 has been plagued with SMB/Share issues since they re-wrote the network stack a few builds back.
    Every build since has had some network problems, starting with not being able to set a static IP :(

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

maybe it is....he should try a Dynamic setup instead if static and see if that works.

3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Its a NAS if the IP keeps changing he'll never get his files :confused:

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    thats right is a file server......sorry i thinking of something else.....i still think is a config issue maybe a firewall issue in the router and or even in windows 10 itself. but sense we can trouble shut it live, theirs a lot of guessing involved.

5. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    It's a NAS. So obviously I have assigned it a static IP. I do have that much basic knowledge.

It is clearly Windows 10 bug. I reported it few months back. But Microsoft will ignore till public throws a ruckus.

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    u have DHCP setup in the router with a custom routing table or is off and u have the NAS setup manually with static IP....what about your nodes are they also setup static or dynamic.....make sure everyone is in the same subnet.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I've done a clean install of both 10130 (updated) and 10147 on two different computers on the same network. When the pin was in-use, neither computer could access the NAS unless SMB 2.0/3.0 was disabled on the client (win10). Upon doing that, the NAS was accessible, but authentication failed (so any share requiring login couldn't be used).

Using a standard password login on either build, and the NAS is accessible and able to be logged into without any issue or workarounds.

I highly doubt there's some other random coincidence, so it seems either the pin itself or something pin login changes causes an issue, at least in my case. I'm using a Seagate Personal Cloud 2-bay 4TB NAS.

8. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i dont see how the PIN has anything to do with a network issue....the PIN is just a alternative to password log in to your MS account.

9. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    ^^ Unfortunately it is a PIN authentication problem.

10. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    Using a Pin may just cause the entire authentication system to act differently, but I'm not really sure. But there does seem to be some strange correlation:

Pin enabled, SMB 2.0/3.0 enabled - Can't access NAS (network path not found)
    Pin enabled, SMB 2.0/3.0 disabled - Can access NAS, can only browse public folders (user-authenticated folder login fails)
    Pin disabled, SMB 2.0/3.0 enabled - Can access NAS, can browse both public and user-authenticated folders

The NAS in-question seems to be SMB 2.0/3.0-compatible (I can disable the SMB 1.0 feature and still access the drive).

I've used a few Win10 builds, and prior to 10147, I've never used a Pin for a password (so I can't say if this affected older builds exactly), but that build prompted me to try it after signing in with a MS account, so I gave it a try. So when I eventually found out I couldn't access my NAS, I just assumed both 10147 and 10130 were broken directly in some way.

Eventually found that an out-the-box 10130 install worked fine with my NAS with pin-login being used. After installing all available WU stuff, I could no longer access the NAS. I ended up doing a clean install of 10130 and not using the offered pin-login, repeated WU, and could still access my NAS afterwards. 10147 seems to have whatever update in 10130 causes this behavior, so out-the-box it doesn't connect to my NAS when using pin-login.

Pin login does seem to be "more complex" than I would assume anyway; setting the pin during initial setup actually took some time (wasn't some instantaneous process, after setting the pin I want, it stayed at the busy screen for like a minute or two doing something in the background; not accepting the pin prompt however progresses instantly to the next screen (I think is the OneDrive prompt)).

11. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    ^^

Thank you. My exact same problem. This existed since the very first public preview build.

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    The PIN feature in Windows 10 is Microsoft Passport so it's not just a simple pin but acts as a new password alternative across the OS so it certainly is a bug you are running into that is unlikely to have a easy fix as it's on Microsoft to make it work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    That figures but they should build a verification check on the network when a Pin is active or something like that :tea:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Thanks for your insight. Don't know if it will be fixed. They haven't bothered with it for last 6 months.

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    well go back to password and see if u can connect to your NAS.....if it works then it is a PIN issue.....im personally not sold on the PIN theory, but i dont have a NAS to test here.....i think im going to go to tiger direct i pick one of does cheap ones for around $55 to test not sure if is same as yours, does are all USB driven...not like yours that is a true network NAS.....but i can still connected to my USB 3.0 port on the router so i should be able to emulate the network error your having. and keep testing for upcoming builds;)

16. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Doesn't Windows 8.x have PIN Login ?
    Could you try installing Windows 8.x on a VM or something to see if it has the same issues.
    It would show if its a Network or Windows 10 issue.

Although, I think its Windows 10's (modified) network stack causing problems again :(

17. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
  18. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Problem solved.

When mounting a network share,

username : servername/username
    password : password

Eg. My server name is donu1
    My username is gnugeek
    password is 12345

I would enter Login as donu1/gnugeek
    password as 12345

Now the shares mount and work even if PIN is enabled after restart. (Does that make any logical sense?)

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That make sense as long as you use the Password for to logon to the NAS and/or Network shared storage and NOT an PIN! Later would only work if the Password used is the same as the PIN!!

Your whole problem was that you didn't followed the simple Network rules which are depend how you had configured your Network! And that were exactly the reason I posted before (Post #9) that you should get the required knowledge.

20. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    ^^ LMAO. You had absolutely zero clue about it. In the end you are telling "I told you so!"

You should have given this simple solution at the start of this thread instead of asking us to find it ourselves! I am literally laughing at this.