Cannot 'Get Genuine'

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by timfoster, Jul 6, 2011.

1. timfoster

timfoster MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    I have a legit copy of Windows 7. Recently it has started saying that it's counterfeit. When I click the link to validate it, I get to microsoft.com/genuine/validate but I just get a spinning disc and a message saying this may take a few minutes. I've left it running overnight, so a few minutes isn't right.

Anyone know another way to validate?

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Try using IE to validate

Not sure why you got flagged by MS is your legit...lol

Sometime hosts file entries can affect validation

3. timfoster

timfoster MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am using IE9. I have tried with firefox and chrome but get the same issue. Is my only option to re-install from scratch again?

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    no not exactly, there are many things to try and get over the hump:bananajoj2:
    try system restore, that may do the trick

You say you have a ligit copy, so u have the original dvd and key? or how else do you know it is genuine? you wont need to install from scratch, however give us more info.
    Type of win7, your system and if u thinkedred with anything lately pertaining to activation, or dowloaded some bizarre isht that would have messed you up

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #5 stayboogy, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
    a family member of mine had an oem vista install that did the same thing after about 5 years of use just right out of the blue (not software/virus related). must have been some registry or system file that got corrupted, but i never could figure out how to fix it. of course i didn't try "everything" in the box to fix it either--didn't think it would help anyway really. i ended up doing a clean install on that machine and all is fine now...

maybe someone will chime in that has fixed the problem you are having before.

here's hoping you don't have to do a fresh install, but hey a fresh, clean install for the pc feels just as good as fresh, clean shower does to the body lol

6. timfoster

timfoster MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2011
    I've never had a great deal of luck with system restore. It always seems to take forever and then the problems still haven't gone away.

Yup. I have a lovely shiny disc, plastic box and everything.

I haven't tinkered with anything that I'm aware of. The only thing that has been installed in recent weeks is an arbitrage application from a trusted source. I have tried to install the beta version of the windows 7 phone developer software, Mango, but I had a few problems getting that to install and haven't had the time yet to look into it in any more detail. It has uninstalled the retail version of the Zune software, but I'm not convinced that it is the cause (based on nothing more than a gut feel though). The version of Windows is Win 7 Ultimate and it's running on a 2 year old Compaq. The laptop is ready for an overhaul anyway so I may just trash it and get a new sunlight readable laptop instead.

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    yeah upgrading that joint will be sweet man , no doubt. Did u try and do a repair to your OS, if not back up your data, fresh install win 7 on the compaq while getting a new rig

Good luck my man,

oh yeah installing win 7 from USB isa breeze, wont take you more than 30 min or so i remember;