Cannot Open Backup and Restore

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., May 1, 2011.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I cannot open Backup and Restore from the Control Panel, either under Backup and Restore or Action Center. The Backup and Restore application is working and makes backups as previously configured. However, I cannot open the application to check my settings. I don't understand how the application can continue to work as configured yet I'm not able to open it.

I don't know when the problem started. I have an original Acronis backup saved from the time the computer was purchased in February of this year. It's a new Dell Studio XPS 7100 with factory installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I don't particularly want to go back that far in restoring the system. I've run the sfc /scannow command to no avail. The problem occurs in all three user accounts, including the true Administrator account which is not used. The problem also occurs in Safe Mode. I doubt if I have a System Restore point going back far enough to regain the ability to open the Backup and Restore application.

To the best of my knowledge I cannot use the OEM installation disk to repair the system files. My settings in Services are correct, the Backup and Restore being set to Manual and Started. Is there a way to check the Backup and Restore entries in the registry to determine if everything is as it should be? If so, where in the registry are the entries located and what are the entries and their values?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials in real time and manually start Spybot S&D, Malwarebytes, Avira AntiVir and SUPERAntiSpyware on a periodic basis to further check for malware. No malware has been detected. I don't see any functions of any of the malware applications that would interfere with Backup and Restore.

I'm not overly concerned about the problem since I use Acronis to create periodic backups. I simply wish to be able to open the Backup and Restore application. I've researched this problem for several days and have not been able to arrive at a solution.

Thank you in advance for any assistance provided.

C.B.

2. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you, acrsn, for your prompt reply. Yes, I have run chkdsk, also to no avail. My research indicated that an OEM disk cannot be used to repair system files, which is why I haven't tried it. Are you saying that I simply insert the OEM installation disc while in my User Account or do I need to boot from the OEM disk at startup? I suppose I select "Repair" from the installation disk? Is that correct?

Thank you again for your assistance. Please excuse my ignorance.

C.B.

3. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thank you, acrsn. I appreciate your assistance. Have a nice day.

C.B.

4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Well, the deed is done and the results are in. I used the Dell installation DVD to do a repair and nothing was accomplished. It returned no errors. I then tried to do an upgrade install using the Dell installation DVD and it would not perform the upgrade, returning the message "Current version is newer than version you are trying to upgrade to". I suppose that's because I've installed SP1 since buying the computer. I then burned the Microsoft Windows 7 Repair ISO to both a CD and DVD, neither of which returned any errors after doing a repair. The Windows Backup and Restore continues to function but will not open after clicking on the icon in Control Panel or attempting to open it in Action Center.

I'll just let sleeping dogs lie. It's not that important to me since I use Acronis on a weekly basis.

5. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
  6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I am running Acronis Home image 2011 with no issue, so it could be an isolated case related to that particular set up, dunno !
    Anyway it s working as prescribed on win 7 Ultimate , 64bit for now

7. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...