can't access a partition: "access denied" - and i can't take ownership

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by altk, Aug 5, 2009.

1. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Hello,
    I got myself into kind of a mess today and I need help :(

My computer has 1 hard-disk that is devided to 2 partitions:
    partition C:\ is for the Vista and other softwars and
    partition D:\ has my documents ans stuff.
    I've created another user account on my computer for my brother.
    As I don't want him to snoop through my files on partition D:\ I've tried to denied access to it. I right clicked on the partition, got to properties, then to Security, and then hmmm I'm not sure what I did but maybe I checked-boxed denied access to everyone :confused:
    I thought that "everyone" is everyone *except* me!!!! the administrator!!....
    now I cna't access partition D:\ - it writes "access denined".
    I've read online what I should try to do and I've tried to do the CMD command under administrator and then the command "takeown /f d:" and it writes to me in response "access is denied".

Please help,
    thanks

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Right click on cmd.exe icon after searching in run line, and say run as administrator. Then do it.

try this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    did it like so, and now again from the /system32 directory itself --> cmd.exe with right-click "run as administrator"

still I get "access is denied" when doing the command "takeown /f d:"

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Log into vista go to control panel and users and change properties there as long as you are admin:D

5. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    I've tried to fix this via user-accounts - didn't work.
    I've tried to do system-restore to an erlier point - didn't work.
    I've tried to take onership in safemode - didn't work.

6. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    I had the same thing in vista once. It was a long process of trial and error, in properties on the drive involved.

1) right click on drive involved
    2) properties
    3) security then advanced
    4) click owner tab
    5) click edit then other users and groups
    6) click advanced and find now
    7) find your user name and click on it
    8) press ok then ok
    9) tick replace owner on subcontainers and objects
    10) click apply

That worked for me in vista, when i did it. Be careful what security you put on drives, as you could lose it all.

Hope this helps, this is how i fixed it. It it does not work for you mess around with these settings and try slightly different things.

p.s did you make sure your user name is administrator,a nd can have authority over all files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    When I right-click on drive d: there is no security tab, all the tabs are there but not the security... this is why I can't change anything.
    My user name is not "adminisrator" but there is now only 1 account on the computer and it's mine as admin.

8. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    You must of changed something in registry for that tab not to be there.

Look on net for a registry setting.

Do you use optimizer software, or did you change settings in registry?

9. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    #9 msr, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    found that elsewhere, not sure if it will work for you.

You may have installed software that turned it off.

10. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    thanks but it didn't work.
    when i go to "My computer" I see drive c: with it's current volume and drive d: which writes "access is denied" at the place there supposed to be the volume.

11. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Yep you may need to reinstall your vista if you cannot find a registry detail to fix that. That may work for you.

Your d drive is just have permissions for someone else to view it and not you. maybe you got hacked or something?

12. altk

altk MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    no, it was my doing :)
    pfff, probably I'll try to install another hard-drive with an operating system and load from there, using the current hard-drive as slave.